Confidence

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by moonmonkeyz87, Apr 18, 2017.

1. moonmonkeyz87

moonmonkeyz87 New Member

Ok ive been riding just over a week and now feel abit more confident except for roundabouts. Just curious how long it took you guys to feel confident

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    A week is still a short time Moonmonkey your still going to be a little aphrehensive.
    i would say around three weeks to a month your your confidence sky rockets , the first few weeks is where your learning how your scooter reacts and you becoming used to it.

the more you ride the more you become used to riding, its all about getting out and spending time getting to know the scooter, once you have faith in the scooter your faith in yourself just sky rockets, you start to relax more and at the same time enjoy your rides more to. you start to spend longer out on rides.

Dont worry those nerves soon fade away and your confidence in yourself and the scooter builds the more you ride.

Roundabouts, if possible find a roundabout in a quiet area /estate . being a quiet place your less prone to be spooked by a lot of traffic and hence allows you to practice on them getting to know where you place the scooter, throwing a lifesaver look over shoulder when you need to and signaling , the more you practice the better you become and the more natural roundabouts will feel when you encounter them ;)

3. Kriskeogh

Kriskeogh Member

Good morning

Wow confidence... Didn't have a good CBT day (storm Doris and a very grumpy instructor) but got through it without any real issues. Trundled along about 20mph for most of it.

First couple of weeks were OK though my 9 1/2 mile ride to work took about 35-45 minutes as I was scared, I left early so the roads were quiet, I could still use bus lanes before 7am etc. I toppled my bike once due to not leaving enough space to turn a corner and misjudged how to turn right off a main road as I was scared the lights were going to change and I was part way over a junction

Then I went on holiday and rode round on a quiet island, no cars, just the odd vehicle and plenty of other bikes and scooters

When I come home I felt much better. I started to ride faster where I match the traffic speed and I keep my place on the road. I use outer lanes on dual carriageways, over take stationary buses and slow drivers too.

I was terrified of roundabouts but find the one you really dread and go there early mornings or on a Sunday and practice. Do it again and again until you know your lane to enter it and to leave and you start to feel better on there.

My biggest fear is people behind me getting angry and cars coming from every direction! The first part, tough you will have to wait and secondly my head constantly looks what is happening but I can do that as I know where I am going. I go round at a steady pace but it's constantly looking left, ride, mirrors, over shoulder but trust me when you've done it a few times you will feel OK.

I still get scared after over two months but my confidence is up there. I find the biggest dangers are kids in powerful cars, taxi drivers who have there own bloody rules and also people who drive slow or aren't paying attention, sat at traffic lights when they are green or doddering along at 20 on a 40 road. One day I will count the expletives on that ride to work.

I found confidence comes with time and practice. You may make an error but I find most car drivers are patient enough with me and I am only human. As long as we don't have a bump and no one gets hurt it's not that important

I also find I have to make decisions and stick to them. My scooter does not have a sat nav and I've taken many wrong turns. Imagine this on a roundabout that I'm telling those behind me I'm turning and then I don't. Even if I say I'm going this way and then realise its wrong I stick with it. Unless I'm likely to end up on the bloody motorway then correct your error where it's safe to do so

4. Kriskeogh

Kriskeogh Member

Oh and that journey to work is down to about 20 minutes now, 18 is the fastest. And that involves two roundabouts and turning right onto main roads

5. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

The big problem with roundabouts are people coming round without indicating. You have to be a bit of a mind reader as they don't always keep to the correct lane either so the one you thought was going to turn left down your road comes straight on.
    What problem are you having?

6. Kriskeogh

Kriskeogh Member

The joy of the roundabout idiots, or just because I am on two wheels you can just cut in front of me.

7. moonmonkeyz87

moonmonkeyz87 New Member

Well roundabouts i have to do as the only roads out of my city have big roundabouts i keep up with traffic flow well and ive come to the realisation that if im do the speed limit and cars right behind me its his problem

8. moonmonkeyz87

moonmonkeyz87 New Member

Its not so much a problem more just dont like them never have no matter what im in as i know people are stupid

9. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

There are two areas of riding which require confidence building, the first is confidence in handling your bike and the second is managing traffic and roads.
    The first is easy, quiet carparks and empty roads, do lots of tight turns, sweeping turns, leaning turns, get a good feel for handling your bike and just enjoy. Avoid grit and wet or oil as you will lose confidence a lot when you slip out for the first time so practice on good grit free dry carparks. Get a good feel for leaning as you turn, so as you enter a turn lean forward and into the turn, kiss the inside mirror. Leaning on a sweeping bend makes it smooth and great fun.
    Confidence on the road is about positioning yourself to tell cars that you own your lane and not to bother trying to overtake, laughing at the ones who sit up close because they are frustrated and stuck in their cage and knowing where all traffic is at all times. Use your mirrors, prepare to slow down if cars appear at junctions just in case and enjoy the freedom that riding offers. You can play on a bike in a way that can't be done in a car, weaving around in your lane if its not too busy builds handling confidence and is fun, taking corners in different ways by leaning or not leaning can all be done for fun.
    Earlier posts suggested practicing on roundabouts, this is great advice, go out on a quiet time of day and head round all of your local roundabouts learning which lanes lead where, when to move into the right lanes and then when its busy you can focus on avoiding idiot drivers and not worry about the lanes as much.
    Confidence comes with trusting your bike and trusting your own abilities. Enjoy more, worry less.

Kriskeogh likes this.
  10. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

You asked how long it took to get confident, well I never really trusted my 50cc for the two years I rode it. Slow, skipped out on ruts and hated wet roads. My 125cc changed all of that as its more solid and faster in traffic.
    I have been riding for 8 years, ride a 650 cc and a 125cc and love riding . If it rains my confidence goes from hero to zero!!! I hate wet roads, I hate wet, oily roundabouts, I hate wet drain covers and I hate wet visors. I just ride slower.

11. Kriskeogh

Kriskeogh Member

This is why I went 125 rather than regret a play it safe 50. Initially I was like get a 50 for a year or two then trade in for a 125 but I am glad I didn't.

I'm the same with wet roads and puddles and my journey takes me longer in the rain but I'd rather get there safely.

Some days just aren't good days for riding on two wheels and I don't push it against the elements at nature will always win

12. moonmonkeyz87

moonmonkeyz87 New Member

Havent rode in wet yet as being surprisingly dry definitely not looking forward to it

13. Kriskeogh

Kriskeogh Member

Give it a try, don't be scared but be careful. I leave myself more space to brake, I allow myself more time to do my journey and I have a visor wiper that I wear on my glove, simple but great piece of kit

Worst weather for me is when it's windy