clutchbell weight? lighter vs heavier?

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by Rickard Pingol, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Rickard Pingol

Rickard Pingol Active Member

ive noticed weight is sometimes mentioned regarding clutchbells.
    is their any gain or drawback in heaving a lighter vs heavier??
    asking cause i cant find any info anywhere

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

You want as light but as strong as possible. Remember the more teeth on the clutch bell the greater the top speed, at the expense of acceleration.

3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Teeth on a clutch bell?????
    Milo.......send me some of what you're on please;)

4. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Ops sorry Steve I was thinking of something else. I'll get my coat :oops:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  5. Rickard Pingol

Capture.JPG
    SOUNDS LEGIT :)
    ive been thinking about it for a while. and my conclusion is that a lighter clutchbell is easier to spin up, than a heavier one. If it makes any significant difference? i dont know. on the other hand once you release the throttle, all that momentum has allready got in to your wheel thats heavy enough to keep it up, itself. or am i wrong?

milo2025 likes this.
  6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

It won't spin faster or more freely or easily. :mad:
    The speed of the bell is governed by the speed of the engine.

As the engine revs it spins the clutch pulleys to a speed so that the clutch slippers are thrown outwards by centrifugal forces.
    The outwards movement of the clutch slippers will be determined by the strength of the small springs attached to them;
    i.e. the stronger the springs the more centrifugal force is required to get the slippers to throw outwards, weaker springs equals less forces.

Yes a drilled/lightened bell will look nice and different, but over time it will distort and buckle due to the heat induction caused by the slippers.

Read up on CVT transmissions.

7. Rickard Pingol

You probably right. I didnt go to physics class. So im used to be wrong in this areas. But hypotheticly. If i instead were to put a bell that weighed 2 kg instead of 500gr. Ones the clutch engage. Initially.3 Wouldn't it be more mass to spin up? Taking longer time to get to desired speed/rpm?

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

This is going into inertia territory.
    A lighter flywheel is better than a lighter clutch, unless you have your clutch before the belt (big scoots and atvs often do) but the clutch isn't even all that heavy.

9. Rickard Pingol

I was mostly curious, since some brands offer different weights. My guess was that it probably didn't do much of difference, what the heck do I know. So why not ask the pros here. Thx all