Cleaning moped

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by GreenRanger, Apr 20, 2019.

1. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

should inuse autoglymnleather care and balm also have another brand leather clean and feed for the leather seat to bring back some life into it but to also protect and loom after it or will it do nothing g or more damage than good?

Just cleaned my aprilia mojito 50 and got a tiny bit carried away as instead of simply going over it with a wet sponge then drying I used wax shampoo then water to get it off then dry and I think on the Matt parts it’s not good as it sort of wears it away or am I being too ocd?

Also for some reason I can see a lot more swirl mark scratches in the paint than before which wasn’t because of the clean as I used a soft sponge and a special drying cloth...

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Is the seat 100% definately leather or plastic vinyl with a leather look affect? I literally just use soap and water and a soft cloth to clean my scoot, nothing abrasive and no chemicals which might affect paint work. A mate of mine used caustic oven cleaner much to his dismay.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  3. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Yeh I can see how that would cause damage! Same here except I used car shampoo with wax which was probably unessesary as once I cleaned my specialized pitch mountain bike with just water and it sort of affected the Matt paint so when cleaning stuff try to be as minimal as possible I reckon.

My neighbour used to just go over his car with a shamy cloth and it was immaculate!

To me it looks like real leather but I can’t tell for sure it looks fairly old...

It’s a 2001 aprilia mojito custom 50 of that helps?

milo2025 likes this.
  4. milo2025

Yes I think they are real leather. Very nice!

GreenRanger likes this.
  5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Think it's actually plastic. It's a cheap moped. My BMW doesn't even have a leather seat.
    Wash?
    What is this strange word?

milo2025 likes this.
  6. milo2025

7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Somewhere in the "what have you done today" thread there is a pic of me washing my tomos. I turned it upside down and pressure washed it.

8. milo2025

Yeah I forgot about pressure washers. Good idea for bikes to get into all those 'hard to get into' areas, nooks and cranny's et al. Might take mine through the car wash. I could do with a wash and brush up in this weather, not that I'm complaining; long may it last. (Disclaimer - I wouldn't recommend this.)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  9. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

I have a pressure washer but feel it is unnsessesary and cba to go to the trouble for me its a very quick sponge and dry and thats good enough but now i can see swirl marks all over the place!

10. milo2025

Swirl marks are common. I've even seen them on supposedly brand new bikes.

11. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Such a shame. It's not hard or expensive to buy a micro fibre or really soft drying cloth is it...

Also, cleaning the scooter without causing damage isn't difficult either.

milo2025 likes this.
  12. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

I clean a little out of my bike every day until it’s completely clean the. I just leave it for ages.. that way it’s the easiest and quickest thing to do if you break it up into little bits per day. Yes I am lazy lol.

13. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I maybe clean my bikes twice a year.
    It's impossible to clean them in the winter here as its pretty much frozen for 4 months...

14. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

It didn’t really need it but I like my things to be clean plus I doubt I’ll do it again for a while. Slowly slowly I’m cleaning as much of the per as I can then I will look into lubricating it. Don’t know what to use though?

15. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Wd40 or chain spray or spray grease or multi lube.
    I use chain spray and wd40

Chain spray for the brake lever pivots, drum brake lever, stand and the key switch/seat lock.

Wd40 for the handlebar switches.

GreenRanger likes this.