Choosing rear shock absorbers for e-moped

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sopheus, May 3, 2020.

1. Sopheus

Sopheus New Member

Hello everyone,

I need a little advice regarding rear suspension length selection for my e-scooter (Niu U1).

E-scooter net weight: 56 kg

E-scooter wheel size: 16X3.0

My weight: 80 kg (sometimes I ride with my wife, who is about 45 kg)

Front shock absorber length (I have changed original fork to a longer one): 400 mm

At the place where I live road condition is not that great, there are a lot of bumps.

Available rear shock absorber lengths that I'm choosing from (one per each side): 265mm/290mm/315mm

What would be optimal rear shock absorber length considering the specs above?

Personally I am thinking of 290mm, but not sure if it will be an overkill.

Attached Files:

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

I know hardly anything about electric scooters but just wanted to say wttf (welcome to the forum) :)

3. Sopheus

Sopheus New Member

Hahah, thanks :).

I hardly know about bikes or mopeds myslef, but I guess shock absorbers on e-moped are the same to non-electirc ones. Would be much appreciated if you have any advice to give to me :D

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

You should only need to change them if they are bottoming out when you hit the bumps.
    You might be able to adjust the damping to give a softer ride, but that can upset the handling if they are too soft, especially in cornering.

5. Rickard Pingol

Rickard Pingol Active Member

Some shock are a bit tunable. Where you can adjust the preload on the spring. Maybe something to consider

6. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    I'd say you seem on the ball aiming for the middle ratio - better than going too low and having to buy another ;).