Cheap Runabout

Discussion in 'Car chat' started by Garry Sutcliffe, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Garry Sutcliffe

Garry Sutcliffe Member

Looking for a very cheap Runabout car obviously.
    Looking to spend max 500 and looking ideally for a diesel for cheaper tax and logetlgevity.
    Current runners ATM
    Renault megane ii 1.5dci
    Ford Focus TDI
    Mondeo TDI
    206 hdi
    Skoda Fabian/Octavia SDI/TDI
    Found a nice SDI ATM 120000 no Cambelt change unfortunately putting me off as it will have to be one of the first jobs what will need doing.
    Plenty of ford focus at around this price.

Any experience

2. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    Renault Megane - Good cars when theyve properly been looked after but if its the keycard type, I personally wouldnt especially for under £500.

Ford Focus TDI - Great option, Brilliant cars and great value for money. Ive had a few and cant knock them. Being a ford, Check for rot and rust underneath. Other than that check its got good service history and replace the obvious oil, oil filter, air filter and cabin filter and itll go for a while.

Mondeo TDI - I prefer the Mondeos over the Focus. Theyre used by businessmen for long trips for a reason, Bulletproof cars (as are focus`) and they handle fairly well. Check for the same things as the Focus.

206HDI - not alot of experience with them but Ive not heard many great things about them. Ive only ever driven one once when I was working in a garage and it honestly didnt impress me at all, Just felt cheap and horrible to drive.

Skoda Fabia/Octavias - Taxi drivers love them for a reason. but because the boy racers also like them the insurance can be a tad higher.

SDI - Not worth it if its never had a cambelt done.

A few other options for you to consider -
    a MK4 TDI Golf - Great cars that have come down in price considerably. Pretty much bulletproof and theyre everywhere so parts are cheap.
    Corsa 1.7 diesel - One with the ISUZU engine, Ive found a few cheap and theyre good runabouts.
    an older Audi A3 - We had one before the bimmer and it was a great car. The first ones are low in price right now and if you hunt about you can get the higher mileage ones for around £500.

Pick yourself up a OBD2 car scanner from halfords. Plug the car in and check for codes. Some people will try to hide codes but any issues will pop up. Dont buy one without service history and even though its a cheap car, do a HPI check and make sure the car is at the address on the V5. out of the list you put up I would go for a Focus or a Mondeo. Businessmen drive them for a reason. Taxi drivers drive them for a reason. Parts are cheap. They rarely go wrong. They hold their value. Cheap to tax. Cheap to insure. Cheap to service and if you drive them sensibly, return good MPG.

3. u33db

u33db Member

Rides:
    Several Bikes
    Wanting cheaper tax and only having a £500 budget will straight away rule out most of those TBH.

You'll only really be looking at Renaults with the 1.5 DCI or Ford/Peugeot/Citroen with the 1.6 HDI engine.

While the 1.6 HDI is a good lump it can be a timebomb if not maintained so beware.

I'd seriously consider a petrol instead as what you'll spend extra on fuel will be offset by cheaper maintenance when something does go wrong.

4. Garry Sutcliffe

Garry Sutcliffe Member

Little update thank you for all your help.
    Managed to pick up a immaculate vw polo 2000 plate but uplifted version ( better bodywork/interior)
    For £325 12 months MOT no advisory's past 3 years,
    Well maintained , full service hx , Cambelt and steering pump done 3k ago. 4 new tyres.
    1.9sdi 150k on clock 2 previous owners

Attached Files:

• $_58.JPG
      $_58.JPG
      File size:
      28.8 KB
      Views:
    Stevep likes this.
  5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Cheap motoring:)