Carrying the shopping...

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by DanielCoffey, Nov 25, 2017.

1. DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey New Member

Rides:
    Scomadi TL125
    Here's the situation... how would you safely carry a modest amount of shopping on your retro-styled scooter (e.g. Scomadi 125)?

I am talking about the amount of shopping that would fit into one carrier bag. I would prefer not to use a rucksack due to the weight being up high so am wondering what brand and capacity of tunnel bags people use and how they anchor them safely. Can you get stick-on hooks/rings that a bungee or two would hook into to secure a tunnel bag? In this situation I have a waterproof insulated roll-top bag that is tall rather than broad. I used it for transporting milk on my bicycle in the summer as it fitted into a pannier.

Now, having brought your modest amount of shopping back safely, how would you handle needing to bring back more? How effective are the double panniers that I have seen? Do they scratch the side panels? How do they tend to anchor securely to the scooter? What brands are popular?

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Rucksacks can be adjustable for weight distribution - i have a large capacity camper with an unzippable base extension.
    For larger loads,i tend to use a large vinyl /canvas laundry bag on the floorboards - bungee cords are always a good carry as well.

3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Rucksack.
    I didnt have a car licence til last year, you would be amazed at what you can get on a bike.
    Its just like tetris, only real life...

Mark Emerson Trentham and Stevep like this.
  4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

But bicycle panniers are a good cheap option too.
    You just have to be creative with your packing.
    My bmw has a wheelchair mounting bracket.

5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

You can adjust the rucksack so it sits on the back of the seat while wearing it, takes the weight off you.

Phil@Notts likes this.
  6. AndreiMadness125

AndreiMadness125 Member

Definitely a rucksack, when you're cruising in a straight line you don't really feel the weight as much, and you get used to it after a few trips, also most scooters/mopeds have a sling hook fitted somewhere under the dash between your legs, so as long as you don't go jumping anywhere, you can easily sling a bag on that, just make sure the bag has decent handles that don't snap on you.

7. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Had a pair of Hein Gerke throw over saddle bags for my SR125 Yamaha - fitted on my Nsc110 brilliantly.!.

8. BigHeavy

BigHeavy Member

Rides:
    Kymco AgilityCity125
    If your worried about scratching with panniers sew on some old rubber car mats to the back works a treat!

I use a combo of rucksack panniers and a bunjee cargo net that i hook onto the edges of the seat.