Carburetor main jet size.

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by FV43576, May 9, 2020.

1. FV43576

FV43576 Member

I have posted this before about fit a performance exhaust for my Suzuki CS50 1982 50cc, well today I had a new performance with large Expansion exhaust from Honda PX50 something like that and it was modified by a welding to fit my engine gasket head, the top speed has increase from 31.4mph to 33.5mph I was disappointment with the result. The scooter it have a performance air filter, it has lost 3.2kg of kerb weight. Before the original performance from my 50cc it was 28.8mph so I have gain 4.7mph more. I am try to get other 5mph more if it is possible.

I can someone tell me if I can swap my Mikuni VM14SH carburetor to a large carburetor? if is not possible would my current Mikuni VM14SH the main jet it has 85 size jet, would it work to get more mph if I swap for jet number 92?

Kind Regards
    Fab.

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Swap the motor for a CS80 3 speed...

FV43576 likes this.
  3. FV43576

FV43576 Member

Yes I was think of swap, but it is rare as a hen tooth to find one!

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah...
    Your main jet will need changing as you have an open airbox and performance exhaust.
    You may have damaged your engine by not using a bigger main jet...

FV43576 likes this.
  5. FV43576

FV43576 Member

Oh dear! sound quite serious for not change jet, which would you recommend the size 90 or 92?

6. The Messenger

The Messenger Active Member

I always buy a box of jets and fit one slightly too large and then work down from there.

its a lot safer than running with a jet thats too small and potentially putting a hole in a piston (yes ive holed a piston, but thats another story) :D

scubabiker and FV43576 like this.
  7. FV43576

FV43576 Member

Thank you for your great info. Have a good day.

scubabiker likes this.