Carb oil/vacuum feed?

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by BbG300, Apr 24, 2019.

1. BbG300

BbG300 New Member

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Hiya, yes they come completely calibrated for the dosage of the air-fuel mixture under all power delivery conditions.

BbG300 likes this.
  3. BbG300

BbG300 New Member

Thanks for your time. I'll probably order one soon then attempt to fit it over the next few weeks haha. Do I need to order any other parts to make it fit or to connect it to the airbox? Is the fittment procedure identical to replacing the standard 20.5mm carb or is there anything extra I'd need to do?

4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    They don't come ready jetted to suit your scooter, you will still need to jet it properly. The std carb works perfect if set up correctly, it's a bit over kill on a std 125cc !

scubabiker, BbG300 and milo2025 like this.
  5. BbG300

BbG300 New Member

I was told that the current carb is not standard, it's also running very badly with the current one (bogging/cutting out).
    I attached a pic of the current one.
    I'm also looking to fit a 172 kit over the next few weeks so wanted to get the bike running nicely before I fit it. I have little experience tinkering with carbs and I heard somewhere that the malossi 25mm comes pre jetted for the 172 kit.
    Thanks for the info/advice

Attached Files:

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

No carb comes "pre jetted" even new bikes need adjustment.
    I would do as Marsh says (he is a piaggio god!)
    Get that carb dialed in.
    Looks like a dell orto to me.
    Where is the problem on idle? Half throttle? Full throttle?

BbG300 likes this.
  7. BbG300

BbG300 New Member

Doesn't idle well keeps changing revs and cuts out sometimes. Also there is a rough scratching sound coming from near the fan cover. Found a split in the rubber manifold, not sure if air is leaking(pic attached). Bogs when you push it past half throttle, probably only runs decent between quarter throttle and half. Basically not running well, gonna try upload a couple vids of it running later. Thanks for the advice mate

Attached Files:

8. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I've found that Dellorto carb's don't work for me on Typhoons, the std Mikuni work's perfect even on a 172cc, just upjet to around 90-92 on the main jet and it will work. Keeping the std pipe you'll have power from low down, all the way up !

BbG300 likes this.
  9. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Is that missing the jubilee clip for the carb?

10. BbG300

BbG300 New Member

I think they're all there? "Edit - just checked again and I think it's missing one on the intake manifold?" (check pic below) but wouldn't surprised considering the state I found the fuel line (pic attached), it was leaking badly

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  11. BbG300

BbG300 New Member

In the third video it seems to run better after I fixed the leak and played with some screws in the carb. Hope I didn't lean it out or make it worse.
    Does anyone know what that rough scratching sound is? Seems to be coming from the fan area, thinking it could be a bearing or something?

12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Sounds like a main bearing failure to me

BbG300 likes this.
  13. BbG300

BbG300 New Member

Ouch, would that be the crank bearings? Should I get a new crank since I'm planning to 172 it or just replace the bearings? Looks like this bike is gonna need a lot more work than I expected. Should having taken a 2 stroke expert with me before buying it lol. Thanks for the help

14. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Maybe get a new crank, better to be safe then sorry! :(

BbG300 likes this.
  15. BbG300

BbG300 New Member

Which crank would you recommend? Stock size is 52mm right?

16. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

No idea on what stock is.
    Get good bearings and use good oil, crank bearings should last pretty damn long then.
    @Stevep or @MARSH will help

17. BbG300

BbG300 New Member

Thanks. So are you saying I should just replace the bearings or get a new crank and buy bearings seperately? The manual says the stroke is 52mm(pic below), so I'd need a crank that size right? Any recommendations for oil?

Attached Files:

18. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Some cranks come as a set with seals and bearings. I buy separate myself. SkF all the way!
    For oil either castrol or motul synthetic

BbG300 likes this.
  19. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    The Jacil (top racing) crank is very good for the money, I've used them in the past with no problems. NTN bearings as std with viton seals. Probably set you back £160. PLEASE fit the crank/bearings with heat/ freeze method and pull the crank in the final bit, don't knock it in !! I'll be using the Jacil crank in my next build, 150cc.

BbG300 and milo2025 like this.
  20. BbG300

BbG300 New Member

Thanks a lot, you've been very helpful. Would a secondhand pm tuning or other aftermarket fitted with NTN bearings and viton seals be ok?