Brake light issue - Not coming on immediately

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by 328isport, Jun 14, 2017.

1. 328isport

328isport Member

Hi All,

I've got an issue on my Gilera Runner where on pulling the front brake lever the brake light doesn't immediately come on, it requires a fair bit of pressure until it will illuminate, and therefore I'm pretty sure it won't be working on the road in any other condition than medium to hard braking.

However pull the rear brake lever and the brake light will illuminate with minimal pressure, I'm struggling to understand why the front isn't doing the same. So far I've switched the brake light switches around and tried a different lever, no change.

Any ideas?

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    check the little nugget on the brake leaver assembly , if the switch ismore away from the nugget you have to have a lot more travel before the nugget hits the pressure switch.

closer the switch is to the nugget the less travel the leaver requires to illuminate the lamp ;)

3. 328isport

328isport Member

Sorted this, on my bike at least the brake light comes on when the lever loses contact with the switch, I had it in my head the other way round, so tightening the brake light switch only makes the problem worse. Unscrew the switch a few threads and I can get the light to come on with the slightest movement of the lever.

Tamiyacowboy likes this.
  4. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Great news 328i

glad your back on the road and all lamps working correctly