Bit nervous riding after hit and run accident

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TomCAprilia, Nov 4, 2016.

1. TomCAprilia

TomCAprilia Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR 125
    Hi everyone. First ill tell you the situation i got involved in then ill explain the effects of it on my riding.
    So i got hit by a car from the oncoming lane who tried to pull right across my lane into a side road on my left. He noticed me when he was %80-%90 of the way across my lane then tried to pull back in, striking my bike no the right side. Fortunately i wasn't majorly injured (the bike was!) i was just a bit shocked as it was my first collision on the road I've only been riding since july of this year.
    So i went and bought a new bike, everything is going well and she's riding perfect but every time I've got an open road in front and see a car in the on coming lane signalling to go across my lane i get a little bit panicky if that makes sense. I don't loose control of the bike or start breaking heavily etc. but i do have a slight sense of fear from the last accident. This event only occurred recently so I'm hoping ill eventually regain my full confidence.
    I was wondering if anyone else has had the same sort of thing happen to them and if so, how long before you start to feel like not every car on the road is trying to kill you! hhahaa.

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    not been in a smash, but i been in a couple of car accidents ( barrel rolls / head on into tree)
    it takes time to heal and get confidence back , if you shave off a bit of speed all is good that human nature .
    to control the panic you need to learn breathing , long deep breaths to bring down the heart rate and help that burst off go go juice your getting from the fight or flight response the brain instigates. ( yeah forum censors that Adren word lol)

If you fall off or have a crash there is one thing you must do , GET BACK ON ROAD AN START RIDING AGAIN if not you will become scared even more. its just saddle time you need buddy and a little bit of breathing to help combat those panic moments ;)

3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Understandable.
    The lights on most peds are terrible things, the more light you can throw forward the better.
    I've fitted a couple of 10w cree led's to the front of one of my bikes, down on the lower forks, nice and bright but really low power consumption, now my mate says stay at the back because when he looks in his mirrors he can see where the back of the pack is when we go riding.
    As ^ says, it's all about getting your mojo back. It'll come, most of us have had spills of one kind or another, I came off my first road bike 6 times in the first 6 months:rolleyes:; and i've been riding since i was 9 :confused:

4. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Have had loads of accidents/ex-courier.....
    it does wear off after a while.the feeling of trepidation everytime you get back on a bike - the fact that you have says lots...ride safe.;).:).

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

never had an accident, but i totally get the feeling you describe, puerly because ive had so so SO many near accidents, i ride with a "what if" attitude,
    what if that car turns now?
    what if that car suddenly stops? etc etc
    its saved my ass nearly every day of my life.
    cars dont see bikes, its just a statistical fact. the best you can do is be prepared that everyone on the road is going to try and kill you.
    for me its even more important because of a genetical condition, if i have an accident im at a very high risk of internal bleeds/injuries, its like 90% chance i will die if i have a low speed smash....
    a good horn, and bright bulbs are needed on all bikes i think... as steve says, LED spots...

PhilB likes this.
  6. TomCAprilia

TomCAprilia Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR 125
    Thanks for the advice guys! definite confidence booster!
    I'm back on the road and things are getting easier but i suppose having that little bit of fear is a good thing in a way.
    it keeps you aware of you're surroundings and allows you to react rapidly if need be.
    no doubt ill be back to my normal riding skill level after a few more hours riding.
    it doesn't help that I'm on a new scoot so I'm still getting used to the handling and weight distribution across the bike while cornering etc.

Thanks again! some good comments for visitors in the same situation as me. :)