Bike broke down at shops

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by MrXT, Feb 15, 2017.

1. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Fucking typical!!! Same issue I had before.
    Started the bike and it started strangely like a delayed start but it started so off I went to the shops when I parked I turned off the ignition and it kept cranking and the lights on the dash were half on so I couldn't even turn the engine back on to buy myself some times while I unscrewed the battery cover.
    Battery died I took it out and every time I reconnected it there was a big welding spark and the bike trys to crank and I don't have any tools to unbolt the seat to give the solenoid a smack so I'm in the carpark kicking the shit out of my bike trying to get the solenoid to unstick.
    Didn't work so had to leave the bike in one of the dodgiest shitholes of London (took battery with me). I suppose any thieves will have to fix it before they can knick it (or throw it in a van).
    Last two times it was either the solenoid sticking or low battery voltage that was the issue because changing the solenoid fixed it for a short time but changing the battery fixed it for over a year.
    This time the dash lights half stayed on even with the ignition off so I'm thinking its some kind of electrical fault rather than a battery (which is basically new) or a solenoid/ starter issue?

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    First off check all groundings , motor and main loom to frame .

ok next is we need to check its that stater/switch solinoid , unplug the solenoid so the bikes not giving power to the starter at all.
    kickstart bike take it for a ride ( to same set of shops ) pull up turn it off , now if bike does not wanna switch off we got a electrical short in the circuit thats a cause, if bike starts and runs home fine we have a soliniod/ starter switch problem.

next is to test the relay/solenoid and the starters switch, it could be a duff switch causing a short and thats causing the starter to constant engage , the switch is momentry meaning its only on when the button is held in. if the contact spring is worn or bust you could press the switch and the contact plate could stay in place causing a short circuit and firing the starter.

probe the solenoid/relay for continuity to make sure its not sticking open and/or shorting out.

BunnyMum and MrXT like this.
  3. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

So if I unplug the solenoid the bike will start off the kick starter no problem? I can't do all these tests in the carpark of lidl lol.

If its the starter switch how would I go about unjamming that? Press the switch until it unsticks? Give it a smack?

4. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    yes buddy the starter relay is just a switching unit, its connected to the battery and the starter switch has nowt to do with any other electricals on the bike, so the kickstarter will work whatever.
    that will disable the starter and allow you to use bike, But it means you just have to not be lazy and use the kickstarter each time to start bike ;)

starter switch few quid for a second hand one on ebay so best thing would be just replace it, you could try unfree'ing it giving it a clean out , but its not to say its just going to happen again 5 mins later of three months later .
    the electric start motor usually has two wires going to two terminals on the startermotor itself you could remove those and use kickstart, but its a better bet to remove the starter relay so theres no connection switch wises and relay/battery wise. ( dont worry no need to disconnect battery either so no arc spark to worry about ).

kickstarter : start no problem well that depends you you kicking it over, it may take a couple good few kicks for the motor to catch and fire up, but it dont take long to get the knack of things , cold mornings may take a little longer to kickstart it, once the motors warm and been running it usually fires up first kick/second kick

BunnyMum and MrXT like this.
  5. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Cheers mate, I'm charging up the battery now and gonna take a cab down to the carpark I was forced to leave it in soon. Hopefully I'll be driving back home.

Quick question while the solenoid was stuck and the bike kept trying to fire up the battery was dead and connected and I was desperately trying to kickstart it I tried kick starting it about 50 times and it wouldn't start. Would that have something to do with the starter still being engaged? Because normally the bike kick starts on the 2nd or 3rd kick at most.

6. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    did you pull rear brake in ? then kick lol ( yeah dont ask why i made same mistake 5 mins kicking my first speedy 2 to death and a lotta swear words lol looked a right Awipe to lol and felt 1ft tall when bike shop assisant came out aand said gotta yank brake on buddy )

remember to pull the rear brake in when either using starter or even kickstart , also make sure bikes on center stand.

kickstart fail, that could have been because the battery was to low , some bikes charge the coil via the battery and not the stator . when you go to put that charged battery on remember this RED first - Black second ;)

7. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Iv never needed to pull the brake in to kick start it you just turn the key and kick. Sounds awkward as hell to have to pull the brake in while you kick. I'm about to set off wish me luck, thanks for the help.

8. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Okay that didn't do it. Without the starter solenoid connected i couldn't even get the bike to come alive. No lights, nothing.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  9. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Never mind, I got it going. I reconnected the solenoid but only connected the red and black cables and not that 3rd weird connector cable and it worked. Can you explain to me how those 3 cables work and why it didn't work with the solenoid removed?

Also made it home fine, no issues once I stopped and turned the bike off.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  10. Goldy

Goldy New Member

Are you fimiliar with aerox's? Underneath the bike near the sparkplug is a wire that connects to a metal prong. On my aerox it sometimes comes off the prong due to bumps etc and i have heard this is common but what does the wire actually do? I thought it was to do with the starter motor but the bike starts up fine without it connected. Also any idea on how to prevent it falling off?

11. torpedo01

torpedo01 Active Member

Rides:
    Pedal Bike M8
    Better off creating your own thread to get the correct attention rather than hijacking somebody elses thread ;)

12. Goldy

Goldy New Member

Lol apologies. Found out its the temp sensor anyway :p

13. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Don't have to pull in the brake on my speedfight 2 lc to kickstart although you do to use the electric start.
    Just gently engage the kickstart first before kicking down or you will have a worn kickstart before long lol

14. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

So back on topic, any idea why the bike wouldnt come alive when i completely removed the solenoid and only came back after connecting the red and black wire to the solenoid?
    Im assuming the red and black cable are from the battery and the connector coming out the bottom of the solenoid leads to the starter motor?

Im trying to understand the electrics a bit better.

15. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

What bike you got again?

16. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Kymco agility city 125 is the one with the electrical issue.

17. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

It was probably the earth cable needed reattaching. Try taking off the red live cable and see if it still works or if not the other way round.

18. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Its like this:
    Battery has 2 leads + and - the plus goes to the starter relay then splits off. You disconnect the whole relay and you have no electrics, disconnect just the lead to the starter and you still have electrics.

MrXT likes this.
  19. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Can anyone tell me what each of these cables leads to. I'm certain the thick red and black cable are directly from the battery but then there's a thin red wire that I can't identify and when disconnected the bike is lifeless as I just tried so what does that do? I assume the cable connector at the bottom is what leads to the starter motor?

Attached Files:

20. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Goes to ignition switch?? The connector is probably from your starter button to operate the solenoid.