Biff the Ageing Bof

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Stevep, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    You need to keep it steve as a weekender stepthrough, its like a cub but not a cub :)
    nit up a few cub meets on it and mention word of mouth that its a for sale machine i would hedge a bet it flys away .

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Been lacing the wheels
    There's a reason I like alloys................................

I won't be keeping this bike when it's done, it's going towards the Bonneville fund;)
    Or I might get myself another Goldwing.....................o_O

3. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

My "big bike" is a 2010 Bonneville SE lol

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

See....................IT'S NOT A BONNEVILLE:mad:
    It's just WRONG.

5. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

It shifts and handles though. I'm not usually a fast rider but this could turn you in to a hooligan.
    I'm not keen on the small front tyre but it only cost me £2500 as it was a cat D so I had to have it lol
    When the front tyre needs replacing I'll fit a 120/70 17 which makes the front end more in proportion.
    DSC04270.JPG

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Done a bit more

IMG_20170423_183320.jpg

Might have the rear in later this week.
    I was hunting around for the main stand spring, couldn't find it anywhere, then realised that it wasn't the size spring I was looking for!:oops:
    I was looking for something that had long hooks that didn't foul the bolts or frame.
    It actually sits on a 'c' section of steel that attaches to the frame and then you put the spring on.:rolleyes:

This is what happens when it takes so long to do these things, you forget, well, that and old age:p

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  7. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    looking awesome steve those shiney rims and laces do it proud , and that motor you would not believe the sate it was in first time we saw it either :)

8. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Painted a few more bits, put some stuff on

IMG_20170426_165847.jpg

9. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Ever get the feeling that you've been working all day and only achieved a miniscule amount of work?
    Finally got the loom in..............nearly........................

IMG_20170523_180424.jpg

IMG_20170523_195744.jpg

Took a couple of hours to re-discover where all the connections went, and which way round the loom actually fitted in the frame, and through which holes in and out, but I think it got there in the end.

Onwards......................:)

10. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Oh boy oh boy i just cant wait to hear this vintage puppy fire up , its looking super fantastic Steve , gonna be the pride and joy of the new owner when you shift it on ...... i mean this build is showroom spec and i would expect it to gain a few medals in bike shows for restroration work at its finest

11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's looking nicer by the MONTH!

I've just gone and bought myself another toy to play with as well:rolleyes:.....................a V8, 4 litre, JAG:D
    These cars have the same engines as the Jaguar XK, Ford Mustang, and Aston Martin Vantage.

12. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Painting the last of the little pieces, re-painted the oil tank cover as well, wasn't good enough.

13. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Should sign write your name somewhere hidden buddy , for when its stripped down in years to come . last of the little pieces sounds like she is nearly ready body wise then for build up .

be sad to see this project come to an end, have any more lined up tucked away in the back of the workshop .
    LOL V8 jag thats gonna get you more speeding fines buddy and i bet you already have plans for that to lol .

14. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Little things now that take time to do, like the rear footpeg tubes, front footrest, gear and brake lever; those little things.
    Some will be red, others silver, others black. Nightmare deciding what colour to do what.
    Bit of a quandry about the headlight surround, finding a new one is near impossible, so I may do it silver or may do it black.

I have the next one already stripped down ready to get on with, a 1975 Yamaha RS100, the big brother to the Yammy FS1E.

As for the jag, new rear tyres ordered, complete head set ordered so I can do both the cylinder heads, debating whether to change the sound system in it, really need bluetooth connectivity these days, and the DAB for Planet Rock, but with the jags premium sound system (8 speaker setup, amp'd as well), I could well be getting into a complete new i.c.e. install.
    Plus the head unit that's in it as standard is a double din type, so whatever I decide to put in has got to blend in to the dash board which isn't going to be easy. I don't want blingy fancy led's dancing around while it's on, I want something restrained but stylish.
    The engines going to be fun, not done a V8 for a while...............

Now then...............what colour for the cylinder heads....................................:rolleyes:

15. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    photograph the front lamp unit then MS paint the surround in black gives you a rough idea what the black looks like backing to the red body.
    if your gonna do those footpeg tubes on rear front footrest gear and brake leaver in black maybe follow that with the light surround to. or maybe call in a favour and have it chrome dipped and shoot a clear over to protect from chippings

V8 cylinder heads hmmmmmmmmm blacks nice , red is nbice to but its a jag and they tend to be Green , racing green .
    the ice system, whats the glove box like in them , i wonder if it could be snugged into the glove box outta sight outta mind and away from prying eyes to. im not sure if they do retro look systems but with modern day tech inside that could be a nice route to take, looks like an old 8track player but is really an all bells and whisles dab system

check these out buddy :) : http://www.retrocarstuff.com/classic_car_stereo_retrosound/

16. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Just ordered the (nearly) last of the bits for it.
    Chain and sprockets, mirrors, found a new old stock headlight surround, rear indicators, 4mm i.d oil pipe.
    Just need to find a new 19mm throttle tube and grips with the Suzuki 'S' on them.

17. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

All the parts have turned up barring the headlight surround, that's coming from Thailand.
    Rear light fitted, rear indicators fitted, oil tank and cover in position, fuel tank on, speedo in, badge on front, sprockets on, rear wheel in properly, although I can't tighten it up yet because I've lost the main nut for the sprocket carrier; got to order a new one!
    Today's work is to get the new oil line through the engine block for the carb, routing for the oil pump, then test the oil pump.
    Exhaust has started to clean up nicely, not absolutely perfect but no holes in it (apart from the ones at the front and back:p).
    Carb is going into the sonic cleaner.
    It's no so far away from being started for the first time in many many years.
    I shall post a video...............

scubabiker likes this.
  18. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

19. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

No not really.

Hmmm, no oil feed from the pump through the pipes to the crank bearings.

AND, I'm questioning stuff now.

The carb has got 3 pipes off it, one vac and one fuel inlet obviously, and a third that I presumed was for the oil hose inlet.
    The oil pipe from the oil tank was split via a three-way T piece BEFORE it reached the pump, therefore allowing free flow of oil to the carb, and presumably to the piston.
    I don't think this is right.
    If it's left this way it will drain the whole of the oil into and through the carb in a matter of hours.

With my knowledge of oil to crank fed pipes, i.e. the suzuki katana engines, they should theoretically feed the piston with oil as well.

Scouring the internet for info now.....................

20. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah, CCI. tank to pump, pump to carb and mains (sometimes inlet too)