Beverly 125 bearing collapse

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Ian Robinson, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Ian Robinson

Ian Robinson Member

Went for a run from hull to whitby last month, on my 2002 beverly 125, the carb ran dry of fuel a couple of times, (ive put a large fuel filter above the carb so i can see if theres any fuel in the carb) the amount of petrol being pumped by the vacume pumped is tiny, do these vac pumps work at high revs. I think that on full throttle its drinking more than the pump can move, thinkin off fitting An electric pump, or maybe twin vacume pumps! A few miles from home there was a heck off a bang and the rear briefly locked up,the bearing in the cover had collapsed,has any one else had this happen? the 8 mm. Bolts holding the variator cover on where a sod to get of, had to melt it off with a arc welder, as it hapens it was smashed inside anyhow, the bearing seat was a mess, new one on the way only 26 bucks. Just after the lockup i pulled up and there was coolant dripping out, by now i was pissed of and. 5 mile from home so didnt investigate and just limped home, the jolt had pulled a water pipe of the carb, it wont rev now, cleaned out the carb there was a little dirt, t feels like its not going onto the main jet, cuts out at one third throttle, aint tried starting it yet, it could be the head gasket(hope not) lookingforward to getting it fixed after a few weeks of not looking at it

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

If the carbs running dry then suspect the float height is wrong.
    A large fuel filter is just wrong for it, it'll never fill it, get a standard one back on there.
    Which bearing set? Variator or clutch end?
    If the back end locked up then I would suspect belt failure first off, unless the input shaft or crank bearings have collapsed completely.
    In the case of the crank bearing failure, it's an engine out, full strip and rebuild.
    Any photos?

3. Ian Robinson

Ian Robinson Member

The carbs empty because its not getting enough fuel, thats why ive put a large fuel filter above the carb, if theres no fuel in the filter theres none in the carb, so now i have a visual aid to know whats happening in side the float bowl, it doesnt need to fill the filter, and i can now pour petrol down the pipe if theres no fuel visible in the filter( and its stopped) the collaped bearing is the one thats in the cover, clutch end, rear, belts ok. Ebay picture of new cover, i think you can see the bearing at the rear $_57.jpeg

Attached Files:

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

That bearing is easy enough changed, but it would have shown signs way before it collapsed, like really bad rumbling and grinding sounds.

5. Ian Robinson

Ian Robinson Member

Yes your probably right, unfortunatly i am totally deaf

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

That'll be why you didn't hear it then............:confused::rolleyes: