bEN's Runner Rebuild

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by bEN, Nov 21, 2006.

1. bEN

bEN Active Member

Rides:
    Ducati 848
    As some of you know, some months ago i bought this runner, and since i first got it i've had nothing but trouble and even got lied to about it :roll:

most of this project will be written as i've lost some of the pictures i had, the pictures are also shitty LG phone quality untill i can afford a W810i lmao.

When i was out riding in Chesterfield the whole casing cracked down the side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway since then i bought a new casing off tweak to rebuild it, and i also ordered some PM bushes as the ones on it were shagged which i hadn't been told about or had any knowledge about them at the time.

The PM bushes to this day havn't arrived, but a few weeks ago i bought some standard ones which are supposed to be better anyway.

From the start of the rebuild there were problems, the casing was off an AC sr125 and didn't have the water pump hole in the case, so i had to have one especially machined, and for the gears, another one had to be machined so overall it took around 3 weeks to do untill i got the case back.

Today we finally built it all up and got her running, all sounded sweet untill water started pissing out, SHIT!.

we suspected it was the water seal which we should of changed in the first place, but shit happens so today we took everything back off and stripped the fucker down again!

hopefully tomorrow i can get a seal and have her running, anyway here's some of the pics!

Polished my casing up as it started to look quite dull

[​IMG]

for some reason i also cleaned the fucked wheel, the picture below shows h ow little tread there is, i've ordered a shitty new tyre but i was after a ML50 because i know they are brilliant on wet/greasy roads for this time of year

[​IMG]

stripped for the second time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

random bits, some from the bike

[​IMG]

stripped with the water seal taken out

[​IMG]

more updates soon

2. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    Unlucky, shame that there have been so many problems, hope it's on the road soon.

3. monty9120

monty9120 Active Member

Rides:
    Vespa gts300
    i just want to show you what kind of owner paxtond was

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck6AcdPS078

the bikes so fucked and he never told you anything was wrong with it.

sorry mate hope you get it running and back on the road soon

4. bEN

bEN Active Member

Rides:
    Ducati 848
    shit never seen that before, there's not alot wrong with wheelies etc, but you need to remember to check and maintain the bike often, not sell it to someone when its fucked without telling them. :roll:

5. bEN

bEN Active Member

Rides:
    Ducati 848
    Today we bought some new water seals, i was originally told that i had to buy the complete 'water pump kit' to get my hands on them, costing just under 30 quid, but today i went to a dodgy pikey factory and got 2 for 2 pounds :D

anyway, here's what it looks like sitting in the spare room, which now has oil, petrol and god knows what else on the floor :wtf:

picture as usual is shitty LG phone quality :w00t:

[​IMG]

before i go to work tomorrow i should be up and running!

will be nice not getting a lift all the time, although on nights like tonight ( pissing it down ) im not to fussed!

:ped:

6. bEN

bEN Active Member

Rides:
    Ducati 848
    Well tonight, after a 9 hour shift at work i got home and cracked on, and after about 2 hours she was ready :w00t:

there's still a few little things that needs doing but the main thing is it runs and sounds ok :nerd:

So at around 3amish i thought fuckit, started her up and had a couple of laps around the block to make sure everything was running ok, of course i remembered to put water in it :wtf: :emb:

It got pretty hot but i think i got away with it for a 3 minute run :msn1:

So the last week has been pretty hectic, i had to have the casing machined especially TWICE because the case i had was off an aircooled SR125 so a few bits and bobs didn't match up and required a wee bit of modding :ped:

The first time we built it up, everything went ok then water started pissing out, the weater seal had gone which we forgot to change so this meant ANOTHER strip down just to change some poxy seals!

so we rebuilt it all again, and so far so good!

i'll see how it goes tomorrow, now im knackered so off to get some sleep :rtfm:

7. laydeez_man172

laydeez_man172 New Member

your GOOD :confused:hock: im knackered after EIGHT hours! much less go build bike :D Ben when you have a look at it tomorrow could you very kindly take some pics. and come onn EVERYBODY wheelies their scooters :D and im one of them ;)

8. bEN

bEN Active Member

Rides:
    Ducati 848
    i do too, im going to have to sort something out, my variator nut or the whole thing it's self keeps coming loose, i've tried tightening with..

air gun + loctite

variator holding tool + loctite

both methods have failed, so the threads in the nut must be knackered or something, im not sure but im pissed off, i've pushed it back 3 times tonight in the pissing rain :w00t:

9. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    sounding good apart from the variator nut, is it unscrewing or slipping on the threads?

hopefully its the nut, not the crank.

10. laydeez_man172

laydeez_man172 New Member

I was hoping the SAME thing! is it just a nut? or has it got a washer "welded" into it? try replacing the nut.? :eh:

and Ben

how on earth can you manage to ride a 172 in this weather? im too scared :emb: especially after i came off! it did a wheelspin on the corner and i throttled it LIGHTLY and when i was going uphill about 15mph the bike was doing wheelspins! both my tyres have good threading does this happen to you ben or you aint been on it that long yet? :)

11. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    think thats bad, try hitting the powerband in 2nd gear on an rs 125 on a greasy road, you soon learn how to control a powerslide, almost as good as speedway.

12. bEN

bEN Active Member

Rides:
    Ducati 848
    My rear tyre is basically slick in the middle, but the other night i didn't go over 30mph to try and let everything settle in the new casing.

anyway, it turns out it was fuckall to do with the variator etc

and it was this beast

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amazingly it's not hurt a single tooth, so im very lucky, i knew something didn't feel right when i was riding it but im glad i found the main cause.

This is a nice warning to anyone who changes engine casings or does a rebuild, always change the bearings :cool:

13. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    ouch, just done my area51 ones as they wee whining a bit (well actually it sounded like a high speed electric motor whirring.

you are lucky that there is no damage to the teeth, is there any parts on this runner that are going to be original?!

14. bEN

bEN Active Member

Rides:
    Ducati 848
    Not by the looks of it, one day i might be able to ride it 'normally' again.....

15. gazell

gazell Active Member

its fuckin horrible rideing in the rain i dont know about typhs but the runners back end spins out whenever it wants to...but fuck it its all fun im gonna be the new d.k (drift king) of scooters lol..either that or i'll fall of again lmao

ben ur makeing good progress mate....keep it up

16. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    mabey you should just be a little more leinant witrh the throttle, if you catch it right you can correct the wheelspin (or drift round the bend) ether way it happens if you pop the throttle in bends or just try to go too fast.

17. bEN

bEN Active Member

Rides:
    Ducati 848
    Well as i couldn't find anywhere with the right bearing i thought i might aswell go through the bike doing general checks and cleanups etc

Not done a great deal really, i took the mirrors off, one didn't even have glass in it and spun around no matter how much you tightened it up :confused:arc:

i've also put screws in all the panels as some were missing, and generally cleaned the bike.

i've also just started polishing abit of my case, not looking to bad at the moment.

picture doesn't really do it justice but it looks ok

[​IMG]

18. jacksp

jacksp New Member

hey ben what do you use to clean that engine casing?

they always get ruined and dirty :msn1:

19. bEN

bEN Active Member

Rides:
    Ducati 848
    At the moment im using quite a soft wire brush with some peek polish and a cloth, even after a quick blast up and down the street the case will probably look shitty again but it doesn't take long to get it shining. :bike:

i'll try and get a better picture in a minute.

edit

This pic is abit better, still taken from my shit phone though :w00t:

[​IMG]

20. jacksp

jacksp New Member

ye that looks nice! :)

mine is nealry as clean as that,but it slowly gets messed up :wallbash:

i just try and keep it like it, cleaning it with a toothbrush and some de-greaser, before it gets too bad lol

but its proving hard :(