Bendix Sticking?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Seatonwills, Feb 28, 2022.

1. Seatonwills

Seatonwills New Member

Hi all,
    So, bit of background, last week on the ride home I noticed a bit of a clicking sound and then a loss of power/revs. Made it home but as I was unlocking the gate, it died. Managed to start it again but it sounded like the casings were full of rocks! Took the CVT case off and noticed the belt was stuck and nothing would move. I freed everything up and tried again but this time got nothing. The starter solenoid clicks and there's an electrical whirring and then nothing. The battery and starter show around 13v but the voltage drops to zero when I press the start button.
    Took the cover off again and noticed the bendix was still engaged and there is some wear/damage on the fly-wheel, or whatever its called - big toothed wheel in front of the variator. I took the bendix gear out and tried the button and the starter gear spins up. Bought a new bendix put it back together but same results. It throws the gear out, spins the fly-wheel briefly then stops and doesn't retract. Another click of the start button and it will spin briefly again and stop but the bendix remains engaged.
    I tried to upload video but keep getting error message. Hope this explanation is clear. I am concerned the engine has seized but if it had, surely the flywheel wouldn't turn at all? I have tried the kick start but it won't budge which again, makes me thing engine seized. Anyone got any ideas or advice? My next move is probably going to be to replace the fly wheel gear as I'm wondering if the damage to the teeth on that is causing the bendix to stick. Then the starter motor. Then I'm pretty much out ideas!
    Cheers

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    What scooter ?

3. Seatonwills

Seatonwills New Member

Apologies, should have included the basics! Its a Baotian BT49 Retro/Tommy, 2011.

4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Take transmission cover off, try to turn engine over.

5. Seatonwills

Seatonwills New Member

The bendix throws the gear out then it sticks and doesn't retract. I'm wondering if the teeth on the flywheel are damaged and its causing the bendix gear to bind.

6. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Possible, clean bendix with petrol or carb cleaner then blow out with hp air and don't put oil in it, it needs to be bone dry !

7. Seatonwills

Seatonwills New Member

So put a new bendix in, went back to the original half pulley but still same thing. Can hear the starter turn and whine but doesn't turn over. When I take the cover off the bendix gear is still engaged and not retracted.

8. NovaR

NovaR New Member

Any solution? I'm having same problem with vespa engine I've just put into my gilera

9. Seatonwills

Seatonwills New Member

So I managed to get the engine to run with the CVT cover off by holding the bendix in whilst pressing the starter. It all looked ok so I decided the issue was the bushes that hold the bendix in place. I replaced the metal bushes that hold both ends of the bendix and iirc it did briefly start but sounded horrible. In the end I ended up putting another engine in! Plan is to rebuild the original with a BBK but it's been sat on the bench for a long time now!