Belt shredding

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself...' started by Mick Townsend, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Mick Townsend

Mick Townsend New Member

Hey guys, I need some expert help fixing my baotian scooter. I had shredded about 6 belts and I Can work out why. I have installed a new variator, cluctch pullys and belt and the belt still just shredded.

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Had the same thing on a Peugeot V Clic.
    Turned out the bearings on the gearbox input shaft AND the needle bearing in the rear of the clutch pulley were worn enough to allow the shaft to move forward under load, putting the clutch pulley at an ever so slight enough angle when riding to catch the edge of the drivebelt and shred it within a couple of days.
    Check both the gearbox input shaft AND crankshaft for sideways movement and wear.

3. Mick Townsend

Mick Townsend New Member

Cheers from The Land Down Under mate. It seems like both are rock solid. I managed to get it to run without the variator and it’s running dead plum. I wiggled it and they both seem solid

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Correct belt length and width for the bike?
    Any tell-tale shiny marks on the inside of the belt cover indicating it might be catching somewhere?
    Put the belt back on, start it up, rev it so the belt rides up the full face of the variator and see how far it goes. It might be going too far up and riding on the edge.
    Ditto for the rear pulley but at idle speed, belt should be at the top of the rear pulley at idle, but flush not higher than.
    You will also be able to see if it is flapping around a lot and catching something.

5. Mick Townsend

Mick Townsend New Member

It’s got really bad acceleration also