Belt fitment

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by thosoneill, Apr 15, 2016.

1. thosoneill

thosoneill Active Member

Rides:
    Honda sh300i
    Shitty holding tool was made of putty - had to buy a 12v rattle gun - anyway I used the rattle gun to tighten up the variator and clutch nuts - will this be ok - I didn't use a torque wrench - advice would be appreciated

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Buy a torque wrench and a good holding tool!

Stevep likes this.
  3. thosoneill

thosoneill Active Member

Rides:
    Honda sh300i
    Got the torque wrench will purchase a stronger holding tool - did 260 miles today with no issues

4. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

I thought you didn't need a holding tool if you use an impact wrench. I was under he impression a holding tool was only needed if undoing the nut by hand.

5. thosoneill

thosoneill Active Member

Rides:
    Honda sh300i
    Indeed that is the case however a holding tool and torque wrench is recommended for tightening the nuts - I have tightened them using the rattle gun which is apparently not recommended

6. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    The reason it's not recommended is that what is it tightened up to? On a 2t crank it need's to be 75Nm-80Nm, if it's a lot more it will stretch the thread and will shag the crank, much less and the nut will come loose.

7. markymark2

markymark2 Member

I have always found the best way to lock the engine is the use of a piston locking tool that just threads into plug hole , cheap , effective f possible the one with nylon head so no chance of damaging piston.

8. thosoneill

thosoneill Active Member

Rides:
    Honda sh300i
    Where do you source this effective tool

9. romain

romain Member

Rides:
    Yamaha tmax
    Hi all another nice and effective way is a piece of rope slide threw the Sparks plug hole
    I have seen variator dowel dis formed because to tight

10. markymark2

markymark2 Member

pedparts £2.95 not with nylon end but just use a piece of duck tape , turn motor over by belt/varator or cltch bell gently until you feel the piston lock against tool , bingo engine locked both hands free , REMEMBER TO REMOVE BEFORE TRYING TO START . always undo positive battery lead to remind me , lol.

11. thosoneill

thosoneill Active Member

Rides:
    Honda sh300i
    Mines a four stroke - is there a possibility of this tool damaging the valves

12. markymark2

markymark2 Member

no your valves are up in the head so thread the piston blocker in most the way by hand and as said gently move piston by means described until it stops against the blocking tool then everything is locked , it`s great because once it`s in place you have both hands free and nothing getting in the way , locking tools that fit the variator usually move about/need fixing in place and the clutch holding tool needs holding , I have all the special auto scooter tools and this cheap little tool is the best , make sure you buy correct size as 2 plug size threads are available 10 and 14mm some 4 strokes use the 10mm thread on plugs, the 10mm tool is £4.95 :) when fitting variator make sure you torque it correctly , most people overtighten the nut hugely , a torque wrench is a must have tool.

13. markymark2

markymark2 Member

use of impact wrenches on scooters should be avoided if at all possible , ok for wheel nuts but that`s about it , anyone undertaking anything much on their scooter should invest in a torque wrench, £20 could save hundreds.

14. Leeder

Leeder Member

you can use a double ended spanner if you haven't got a variator locking tool. this is what i do and have never had a problem on engines ive had from gilera, piaggio, peugeot, and assuming it will work for others. i know some people like to use the proper tools but depending on how desperate or quick you need it done i recommend it.

note - this is the position for tightening, for undoing angle the spanner downwards on the bottom of the variator.

Attached Files: