Belt break!!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself...' started by Max Wilkie, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Max Wilkie

Max Wilkie New Member

Rides:
    Baotion Monza 50
    His guys , need some help. ....... my belt broke on my baotion monza 50 I replaced the belt hoping it would start but it just turns over there's spark compression fuel it's a new battery too , I'm sure it's something simple I haven't done . Don't wanna scrap it its only done 2500mls , I'd appreciate any advice. Cheers.

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    hello max,

check that there was not a grounding wire that was captured by one of the variator case bolts ( my piaggio has a grounding wire if its not connetced to variator case/engine it wont start) this is the first place to look becasue you would have only removed the variator case to swap out the belt , you would not have needed to take of the carb or unclip any wires. unless there was a ground wire that was being cpatured to the motorcase via the variator case. usually they are found up the front end of variator case so have a look see if you notice a wire with a ring on it that looks like it should be clamped via a bolt to something.

Max Wilkie likes this.
  3. Max Wilkie

Max Wilkie New Member

Rides:
    Baotion Monza 50
    Cheers for the reply, I presumed it would still start with the casing off , I'll pop it back on in the morning and try again thank you .

4. Max Wilkie

Max Wilkie New Member

Rides:
    Baotion Monza 50
    Update, it's back together turns just gives the odd splutter but still no start , can't be the battery that's new ish, looks like it's pull apart again. Not touched anything else yet , any idea's?

5. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    did you touch anything else when removing and replacing old belt for new one. i just replaced a new belt on mine.

pull the variator off check for lumps and strands of belt behind it you gotta clean out all the crap thats left from the old belt, give it a good clean out no belt parts left, the rear clutch may have injested some bits to so make sure its free , grip it with both hands and twist it anti clockwise you should notice your fingers start to open the rear pulley out have a peek down into that opened up rear pulley part and check they aint no belt strands wrapped around causing it to be more stiffer than needed.

battery cant be bad ? if its kinda new'ish thats true BUT it could be low on charge , when you hit that starter you can be pulling upwards 200 amps from the battery ( cranking power ) , that even though its short bursts can soon drain a battery of its charge and enough that the starter just does not have the torque to spin the crank just fast enough to catch and fire, you may get the odd putt putt but thats it. so i would give the battery a couple hours on a charger to ensure its good a half decent cranking charge at hand.

your scooter DOES NOT charge the battery like a charger , your scooter produces a low amp current to keep the battery topped up. lets say your battery is a 7ah reading on it, what this means is its 7 amp hours so charging your battery at 1 amp will take 7hrs before its fully charged.
    your scooters tend to have a charge range of around 1amp to 2amp max and usually peaks at around 4,000 -5,000 rpm , so using the scooter we whould have to ride it at 5,000rpm for 1hr to get 1amp into the battery, if we wanted to fully charge the battery we would have to ride the scooter non stop at 5,000rpm for SEVEN HOURS ...... talk about a sore rear end ;). so yes as you can tell your scooter keeps the battery somewhat toppped up with power but it would take a long long time to charge it fully and you would have to be somewhat running high rpms all the time to do it.

i would charge battery first make sure it has a healthy charged state, then pop it on and have another try, after that its checking airbox sealing and the air pipes leading from carb to the engine and from teh airbox to carb for any holes or splits as these can cause starting issues to

6. Max Wilkie

Max Wilkie New Member

Rides:
    Baotion Monza 50
    Well I'm please to say we have life again, gonna take her out on a test run tomorrow, fingers crossed. .....cheers again mate can't thank you enough.

7. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Congrats Max, no need to thank me buddy, thats what us members on scooter shack do, we help each other throwing ideas hints and tips about so you can fix your scoots and get back onto the road again.

Gear Up Ride Safe and enjoy the two wheels

Max Wilkie likes this.
  8. Max Wilkie

Max Wilkie New Member

Rides:
    Baotion Monza 50
    Respect where it's due Sir