Behind Variator

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by ybot1966, May 2, 2020.

1. ybot1966

ybot1966 Member

Ive taken most things off my Yamaha Slider 2001, but today i was looking to change oil seal on the variator side. I took variator off and behin was a metal disk with three screws i thought it was attched to the back but when i took screws of which werent tight at all the metal wheel came off with a round plastic disk which had small stubby chrome bobbins 3 in total and some longer tube with small spring on them these were loose. behind it was the metal tube about half the size of what goes through the variator and this sat infront of the crankshaft oil seal. THe chrome bobbins and littel tubes with spring look like they should go into compartments in the plastc disk which the metal cover slots into. Im guessing its something to do with the starter, as when i put it back the electric starter doesnt engage as before just makes a horrible noise. I starts fine on the kick and doesnt effect running.. Can anyone explain what the chrome bits and springs do in the set up.

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Behind the moving plate of the front pulley, there are clutch rollers. These are thrown towards the outside edge of the variator by centrifugal force, as the rotation speed of the engine / variator increases. When the weight rollers move towards the outside of the variator, the inside plate is forced together with the outer plate and this moves the drive belt towards the outside of the pulley. This effectively makes the diameter of the front pulley larger. As the belt moves out on the front pulley, the tension in the belt is increased, which overcomes the spring pressure holding the two plates together in the rear pulley. The belt moves towards the centre of the rear pulley, which effectively makes the diameter of the rear pulley smaller. In this way, the ratio between the two pulleys is changed and therefore, the speed ratio between the engine and rear wheel is changed. It is common for the scooter manufacturers to restrict the speed of the scooter by fitting a spacer washer under the variator. This restricts the amount the variator is allowed to open. if removed the belt is allowed to go further out into the pulley.

3. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Ps. George Michael on the left of the pic?:cool:

4. ybot1966

ybot1966 Member

Yep back in 2012 literally bumped into while out and about

milo2025 likes this.
  5. ybot1966

ybot1966 Member

yep that expalins the variator

6. ybot1966

ybot1966 Member

Ive worked out its a starter clutch dont know what the bobbins and springs do but im missing two springs anyhow

7. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    It's a "sprag" one way clutch, engages with starter motor.

8. ybot1966

ybot1966 Member

thanks what are the tiny crome tubes and springs doing

9. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    As it say's, it only turns one way, if it's damaged or worn just buy a new one.

10. ybot1966

ybot1966 Member

Ok I pulled out crank oil seal using screws drill in and when it came out our came a crown like plastic disk which had a cup for each of eight ball bearing in the crank
    Is this compulsory as I can see how you can line up the ball bearings to it without splitting the crank open as the bearings bunch together