Battery cranking ?

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by 4strokelover, Apr 24, 2018.

1. 4strokelover

4strokelover Active Member

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Hi all. Again..
    I got a EB9-B 12v 9ah 100A battery for my 125cc chinese crap and it seems like theres not enough cranking power to turn the engine over fully.
    is the cranking power rated on the amps (100a) ?
    I have no clue on battery amps ect so would like know what peoples say .

2. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    the 100A is the cca of the battery, I think it should be enough for your motor, do you have a multimeter to check what power is being drawn from the battery when you try to start.

3. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Allot of power as it makes the lighs dim and the volt level on the dash drops to nearly zero.
    I do have a multimeter. How do i check the drawn voltage ?

4. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    just check the battery terminals when starting, it should still stay near 12V after fully charged. if your lights are dimming, you probably don't need to. is it a new battery ? as they lose cca over years, and although it might spin the starter when its off the engine, when its faced with a load it doesn't have the power. if its a new battery check if the bendix is free.

5. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    I shall check the battery that way and get back to you with a reading. The starter cranks in the bike but not a full crank because of compression aha. Its not new, i got it off a friend as he didnt need it but he doesnt know how old it is so im going to get a new one soon incase this one is dieing.

6. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Right i have checked the battery voltage while using the starter and it drops from 10volts to about 7-8 volts. It was fully charged before the test but the starter seamed okay at the time so was trying to start it first. I think i need a new battery or one with a tiny bit more cranking power.

7. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    new battery. I got a I got a yuasa yb4-lb which fits most scooters, if you get the one you fill yourself you can get one for less than 20 pound. check the dimensions so it fits. expect to charge it for about 3 hours. there is a good video from yuasa on how to do it on you tube. you should start a project thread on scooter projects. so you can add things as you go.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yuasa-Ba...292404?hash=item2ccea21f74:g:iQgAAOSwL9padH56

8. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Thank you mate.
    Is that you saying i should get a new battery ?
    I already have a project post so i will keep updating that as there still alott to do (bodywork ect)

CGC likes this.
  9. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    yeah, the battery should show 12v or just over when fully charged and should be able to hold its charge for at least a day after a half hour settle time without being connected. the starter motor draws a lot of power from the battery when asked to work (usually 30-40 amp) the battery can't cope with it as over time the plates deteriorate and can't hold a full charge even though it would still show 12v. when the starter motor is out of the engine it has no load on it, same as running up hill without a rucksack. put the rucksack on and you can't run up the hill. :)

4strokelover likes this.
  10. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Aaah. Very informative. The only problem is the battery is 100cca and the one you showed is 45. Wouldnt i need one with 100 or higher?
    That might explain why my charger sais charged but when on the bike the battery meter on the dash is under half way.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  11. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  12. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Oh thats fine aha. I done abit of googling and most batteries that come up for chinese 125's have 115-120 cca so ill try and find one about the same specs. Thank you for your help and information.

CGC likes this.
  13. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Anything below 10volts is considered fucked, anything below 9volts is considered proper fucked. So yeah you need a new battery, you don't need anything fancy you just need a new battery and keep it topped up don't leave it sitting for long periods.

14. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Thanks mate.
    CGC has been a good help about it and basically advised me to get a new one. From fully charged i do a few cranks with it from the starter and it drops down to 9-10volts so needed charging again.
    Takes the piss as i bought it off a friend for £20 thinking batteries where expensive lol

15. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Great friend you got there.

CGC and 4strokelover like this.