Automatic choke

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by ABX, Jan 18, 2017.

1. ABX

ABX New Member

Hi all I would appreciate so help I having trouble with my yamaha neos 50cc 2 stroke on a cold more I start my bike np. But the choke seems to stay on even if it's warm. so soon as I stop at lights or a turning it conks out there np starting again but when I do the choke still seems to be on and my rear wheel going nighty to the dozen still and it won't go to tick over. I road it to work this morning it took 10 miles before it went to tickover it's a new carb works great just that problem since I put it in any ideas pls would be great thanx

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    you can check the autochoke is working correctly by removing it from the carb.
    when its cold measure the distance from the bottom of the choke body to the tip if the choke plunger.
    now connect it directly to your bikes battery and wait around 5 mins for it to warm up, as it warms up the plunger expands downwards and the cold measuremnt will change by around 5mm -10mm. if there is no change from cold measurement and a warm measurement the unit has failed. the autochoke ONLY works when the bike is running, it does not work if the bikes ignition is on but the motor is not running so you have to direct hook it to a battery to test it.

you can also get manual chokes for certain carbs that replace the autochoke.

3. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

This says 50cc but it's the same for all.
    This particular method says to run the scooter for at least 5 mins then remove the choke to check it but you could use the battery method if you wish.
    Note that the direct battery method won't diagnose a faulty connection it will only tell you if the choke itself is working.

http://www.pedparts.co.uk/blog/automatic-choke-unit-50cc-mopeds

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  4. ABX

ABX New Member

Thanx I'll try that