At Last, building the ICE

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Stevep, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Wasn't going to start a build thread on this, but what the hell.

Bought this a few months back along with 3 vx125 engines for £100.

DSC_0317[1].jpg

Quirky scooters are the Ice. Skeletal frames. I could see the potential of it again.

I thought about putting the Runner SP125 LC lump into it, then doing the 172 conversion, but after a little digging around at DVLA have found out that there are only around 200 left registered on the road in this country. So that is the making of a little rarity maybe.

So that info has sent me down a different road.

Keep it as more or less standard, a bit tuned obviously, for a bit more grunt, I know that it will do around the 55mph mark, de-restricted, with the Hyper2 engine.

So let the stripping commence.

No good having a nice looking scoot if the heart isn't beating so.........

Whipped the engine out, new piston and barrel, new crank bearings and seals, cases shot-blasted and painted, all new gaskets, belt, rollers, oil pump belt, new gearbox bearings as well.

Eh voila!

DSC_0454[1].jpg

Then onto the frame itself.
    It had been spray can painted very badly so got stripped down to the metal again. Took me a couple of days to get into everywhere but was worth it in the end.

DSC_0453[1].jpg

Thought I'd go for Suzuki Purple for a change

IMG_20150701_134347[1].jpg

Things have moved on over the weekend; wheels are now stripped ready for priming and painting, came to a bit of a stop, discovered that the fork seals are leaking so they will have to be changed as well. Never mind, good excuse to strip the legs out, and they are.

IMG_20150706_125407[1].jpg IMG_20150706_125420[1].jpg

Chroming is good on the legs, no pitting.
    New wheel bearings will be fitted.
    New seals sourced and will be here in the next couple of days

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

hmmm wouldnt have thought they had proper forks with damping and stuff... nice project mate

3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Moved on a little more, wheels and fork legs all painted, as is the bottom yoke.
    Fork seals arrived, will post pics a little later...............tomorrow maaaaybe..........;)

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Managed to get a few hours into the garage.
    Forks re-built with new seals and oil.
    New wheel bearings and tyres.
    New disc and bolts.
    Although the disc bolts will have to be changed as the heads are a smidge too long. Need domed ones.
    New upper and lower steering bearings.
    All fitted into the frame.
    Looks a bit strange at the moment.

IMG_20150712_183148[1].jpg IMG_20150712_183240[1].jpg

Back tyre on tomorrow.
    This photo makes the wheel look like it's got loads of crap in the paint; it hasn't, just dust and bits flying about because the doors are open and there is a lovely breeze coming through:)

IMG_20150712_183308[1].jpg

5. KidBilly

KidBilly Active Member

Rides:
    Zip 125
    Nice project mate, loving the choice of purple :p

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Managed to get a bit more done to it over the last couple of days.

IMG_20150802_193148[1].jpg
    Oil tank in, oil pump bled through, engine in, loom in, new ignition front and rear, Renthal bars with the Artek stem adapter, electrics need looking at towards the rear end but nothing major as yet.
    Debating whether to get the fill in panels for the frame sides or not................
    Starting to look ok

7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

is that a kawa twin i see in the background?
    looking good BTW. will be good to see the finished job

8. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

That's the '76 rx100 i bought for £20. It's also the next project when the ice is done.

9. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

how did you get it so cheap!

10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Previous lady owner of a friend of mine, she had it when she was 17. Passed her car test at aged 20, used her dad's car after that. Bike just sat under cover in the garage ever since. She loved the bike and wouldn't sell it for all those years. Despite all the badgering from her parents even after she got married and had her own kids, the bike just stayed there. But, the garage had to be taken down for various reasons, and the bike was put outside under cover and was getting in the way. So my mate eventually told me about it, and because i said i'll restore it and not break it up or scrap it, she said £20 and its yours. She actually cried when I took it away.
    Looking forward to the day I show her the restored version. She'll probably be in tears again.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Well, it now has working indicators and brake lights.
    Got a bit of a dodgy connection somewhere to the rear light cos I can't get that to come on...............yet, but it's just occurred to me as i'm typing this that it might not come on until the bike is running:oops:. As does the headlight.
    However, have found a dodgy wire somewhere near the ignition switch as well...............
    It may just serve me as well to get the thing running first then see what comes on and what doesn't.
    Now then..................exhausts........................

12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

the brake light runs from the battery and the tail light runs from the ignition like the headlight.

13. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

IT'S ALIVE.
    Runs like a dog at the moment, but it runs.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  14. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I need to change the speedo drive for a mechanical one, there are so many more speedo's out there to choose from. And I have ordered new throttle tubes. Maybe collect the new exhaust tomorrow

15. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    How generous you feeling atm,ha ha.

16. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Hoping for the same with the Vivacity this week.......just have to clean all the earwigs out of the exhaust.:).

17. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Got the new exhaust on, put a Technigas Silent Pro on it, de-restricted of course. All the power, none of the noise.
    Got a mate of mine to bore out the centre of a zip speedo drive so I can fit it to the ice spindle, then away we go looking for new clocks to go on the bars. It's going to have the chrome bowl speedo and rev counter on I think.
    New rear brake cable fitted, sorted out the throttle issues, and the rear light issues.
    Having problems finding a replacement front headlight panel and rear section, the ones I have are beyond repair, bits missing out of them, Fleabay has NONE!!!!!!
    Might be a case of AJ Suttons for new ones, although I have been looking a maybe NOT having a front cover on at all.
    I can fit completely waterproof plugs to the connections, and because it is having chrome bowl clocks I can use chrome bowl headlights and indicators for the front.
    A completely naked front end.........................
    Would have to do something about weather-proofing the rectifier and ignition though..............and now i just mentioned ignition I realised there is a security issue with having the rear of the ignition exposed!!!!
    AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!:mad:
    ISSUES,ISSUES,ISSUES:mad:

18. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

relocate the ignition to the side like some harleys have?

19. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I could, but, because of the way the bike is, being so open everywhere, I would still have the same problem. Plus it would leave me with an empty tube on the front of the frame.
    I just bought the new clocks for the bars so that's that sorted, I have a feeling that I might go with just ordering the new front and rear panels from Sutton's.
    I have a friend who is a bike breaker, only about 5 miles away, I might give him a ring on tuesday, see if he has any ice panels in.

20. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Bars need to be shorter, unless I extend the wiring for the brake light switches. With the current 700mm Renthal bars on, the front brake light switch is about 3 inches too short. Got the front brake all back on, caliper all painted, new pads, master cylinder painted as well. Was having a little issue with the rear brake being a bit sticky, the lever not going all the way out again, sorted that with a stronger spring on the rear cable fitting. Primed the front mudguard ready for painting tomorrow. Not much getting done at the moment on it.