Area 51 silent block

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by mikestan, Mar 9, 2020.

1. mikestan

mikestan Member

Right its just not my day it seems just got round to putting a new silent block on and this happens its split im gutted i very much doubt there is a way around this must have been a defect part surely you cant see the crack when you look at the thing silent block.jpg silent block 3.jpg silent block 4.jpg

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    The V area is a location point and yes it's cracked. I'd still fit it and drill a small hole through the silent block and frame to fit a small nut n bolt !

3. mikestan

mikestan Member

The frame has one screw hole placed but its were the block lifts in the frame if i can get it in closer without that lifting it will be safe? As for paying £61 for it i was sickened yesterday to say the least
    its not cracked all the way along about 2 thirds of the way along it

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Definately the right part number for that bike according to fowlers.
    Did you warm the rubber up before fitting it? And loads of grease. Makes it a bit more flexible, but do agree it shouldn't have split.

5. mikestan

mikestan Member

yeah was nice and warm also sanded the inner frame to make sure its nice and smooth put loads of bearing grease in the frame and on the part getting the old one out i battered it out with a claw hammer that didnt break strange.

6. mikestan

mikestan Member

Well its took a while for the company to get back to me they want me to return it however it is going to take sometime as they have to order it from piaggio in italy and with this corona virus lord knows when ill get the part i do know this it is unlikelly that this will be on the road for summer ....gutted

7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Bite the bullet, buy another (Fowlers), send that one back, get refund or credit, eventually..........