Are short shocks an issue.

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Buzz, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

My rear shocks on my 250cc scooter are shot so are being replaced. I’ve dug out a set but they are 25mm shorter than the old ones. Original are 325mm and the new are 300mm. Can I ride on shorter shocks? Can I simply fit an extender or do I need to bite the bullet and buy the full length ones which are expensive? If I buy an extender then are they strong enough for a 250cc scoot. All opinions welcomed

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Just make sure the shorter shocks are able to take the weight of you and your scooter and have the travel so they don't bottom out, do they have a preload ? if so them make up a extender.

3. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Thanks for the reply. It just has a ramp adjuster so I'll knock it up a couple of notches but I'll add an extender anyway I think, I don't want to affect the steering and don't want to risk bottoming out.
    Hopefully the shocks are strong enough not to bottom out, the springs are smaller than the original

4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Only adjust it if you need to !

5. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Will do, thanks.
    I'll fit an extender then check the sag. The shocks were bought a while back for a 250cc motorbike project but never added. I am concerned that they will be too weak for the scooter which has the engine further back. Any idea how I know the shocks weight bearing capabilities or is it just a case of checking sag and hope they don't bottom out?

6. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    It's the weight of the scooter, you +pillion. you'll know if it's right or not very quickly !

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.