Ar cooled 50cc Scooter - top speed

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by stalkerbird, Apr 29, 2010.

1. stalkerbird

stalkerbird New Member

Rides:
    gilera stalker nkd
    hi everyone :)
    i was wondering what sort of speed you get out of a air cooled 50
    ive got a gilera stalker nkd and one of my friends reckons its on the vurge of blowing up being air cooled and doing the speed it does
    on a flat road it will hit 59 mph
    i was wondering what sort of speeds other air cooled 50s are getting as im the only one with an aircooled bike
    thanks scott

2. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

It isn't doing that speed. Use the search to find out why.

3. stalkerbird

stalkerbird New Member

Rides:
    gilera stalker nkd
    on my clock thats what it says and i know thats near as
    i went throught 1 of them speed trap things that arent cameras but tell you your speed and i had 59 showing

4. bertie

bertie Active Member

Rides:
    '93 Skipper LX125
    Dude my zip has the SAME engine, but with a 70kit, pipe and other bits in my signiture below.. And Im getting 62mph MAX on a GPS. Half the time its 58-60mph, 62 on a GOOD road.

So im sorry to say that your bike aint hitting 59mph true speed in standard form. The speedo does not give an accerate reading nor do road-side speed cameras. Try to borrow a GPS off someone, some smart phones (iphone) have them built in.

A standard AC piaggio engine will see 40-50mph true speed depending on the bike and conditions. Yours is a stalker so a fairly lightweight bike like my zip, so 45 maybe 48mph is realistic for your ped.

LC engines arnt really any faster, maybe slightly more powerful at full running temp compared to AC due to the engine running cooler but its hardly noticable.

5. eddiesmith

eddiesmith Member

Yeh iv used this example times before but when i had an aerox the needle on the clocks went nearly all the way round (way past the numbers) and in proportion would be showing a top speed of about 65+, but I carried round a gps for a while and the top speed was 54.4 so a good 10mph less than the clocks showed!

6. bullethead

bullethead New Member

Rides:
    Gilera Stalker
    Just thought i'd stick my 2 pence worth in . I got a 2005 stalker and when I took my cbt it was stock. Speedo said 40ish but instructor following me said it was doing about 33 ish and that was ragging the tits off it.

7. CamoAerox

CamoAerox New Member

Rides:
    Aerox 50z
    When you say 'GPS' do you just mean a Sat nav i.e. tom tom?

Cheers

8. Bumlethal

Bumlethal Member

yea....stock speedos are never on point especially analogue kinds.....the digital speedos are more accurate but are still about 7 percent off from what ive read..

9. bertie

bertie Active Member

Rides:
    '93 Skipper LX125
    The GPS I use is for people who go hiking, mountain climbing and jungle bunnying lol.. But it measures speed aswell as distance covered etc etc and is accurate to 0.1mph, anything thats satellite guided will be accurate so yes a sat-nav gps would be just as accurate as a purpose built gps.

Next time your in a car with a sat-nav, look at the speed indicated on the satnav compared to the speed shown on the speedo. Its most likely that the speedo reads a higher number than the sat-nav. Sometimes as much as 10-15mph. This is why you dont get flashed by speed cameras when your speedo says 35mph, and the limit is 30mph, because your not actually exceeding 30mph so the camera doesent flash.

10. CamoAerox

CamoAerox New Member

Rides:
    Aerox 50z
    Well why do they make it so wrong then? surely that aint safe :blink:

11. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    Scooter speedos over exaggerate to try to amke the roads a safer place, 99% are doing 50 when reading 60, end of.

as for the initial question, your air cooled 50 should be fine, its a common mis-conception that they over heat. i've personally done 300 mile stints on my old sr125 and a good 90 miles on an ice (not somethiing i want to re-live) neither of which have ever had any temperature related problems.

ac and LC is the old debate, honestly, it doesn't matter, both are as relaible as each other.