Aprilia sr 50r

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by 4strokelover, Jun 25, 2018.

1. 4strokelover

4strokelover Active Member

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    My new project i picked up yesterday for small amount of £100.
    Non runner at the moment but all electrics work.
    The old owner said Its had a new piston/ cylinder kit installed but struggles to start and goes to somtimes. Ill find out the problem soon enough aha.
    Needs alot of pannel tlc and spray job.
    Needs new exhause tip as it didnt come with one but there cheap enough.
    And i went to use the kickstart but no matter how much presure i put in it it will not move. (hopefully just jammed)
    Apart from that everything seems good with it.
    More pics and updates soon.

Attached Files:

2. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    A little update.
    I found it needs
    new front wheel bearings as they are fooked. (Didnt check before i bought)
    Put piston on the right way as whoever put it on done it upside down so the arrow faces up.
    Maybe a new crankshaft as theres a little bit of play on the variator and when spun by hand it gets stiff at certain spots.
    Maybe throttle cable as this one splits into 2 (1 to carb and 1 into front of variator cover) but broke and dont know where it would have gone.

3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Bearings from Simply Bearings, get SKF's, good.
    Play/notches in the crankshaft is probably due to the bearings there as well, so a bearing and seal set, again split the cases, i.d. the bearings and order at the same time as the wheel bearings. Seals as well. No need for C3 rated bearings, again SKF's.
    Other end of the throttle cable goes to the oil pump behind the variator, but BEWARE!!!
    You need to check that the oil pump is working before running the bike.
    What I do is run pre-mix as well as the oil pump for the first tank of fuel.
    Yes it will soot up the plug quick if the pump IS working, but it will also help with any possible running in (you say it had new piston/cylinder),
    so you have both ways covered.

4. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Thank you for the advice on the type of bearings to get. Ill have to run premix at the minute anyway (when i figure out a good ratio) as theres no oil pump connected (its missing) but i can see where its ment to go. I think the dude who had it before me ran premix too. Ill grab some pics some point today to show the area ect incase im missing somthing.

5. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Another update.
    I took every pannel off to give it a clean ect and noticed these 2 big cracks (split welds i think) :'(
    Is it worth cleaning it all and reinforce welding it ?
    I always seem to get bikes that are fooked.

Attached Files:

6. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    More update.
    Seems the water pump assembly doesnt work or its stuck or seals gone. I fill it up and the more water i put in the more water pisses out the engine. 20 seconds later theres no water left.

7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

You know all that money you didn't want to spend on the other one....................................
    Those cracks could be welded I suppose, but from manufacture they are machine welded so you will need to get a good clean weld on them to reinstate the strength.

You have to split the engine to do the bearings, so thats an engine out jobbie, flip the frame, clean it down to the bare metal with a wire cup brush in the angle grinder, weld it and re-paint it. Check all the other welds as well while your about it.
    Or replace the frame.

8. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    I know i sold the other one because of not wanting to spend loads lol This ones just problem after problem to but going to keep at this one. My friend is doing all the re-welding and strengthening for me so that will be sorted soon.
    Going to be a long few weeks.
    Try fix water gushing issue.
    New head as i found its cracked also.
    Cylinder base gasket as it dont have one.
    And try get it started again.
    Was shown running before i bought it but refuses to start for me.
    Got a spark and compression as its new cylinder/piston but nothing else.

9. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Another update with more problems.
    I promise ill post more pics and proper updates of the actuall fixing of the project.

Found it has a slight wobbly back wheel (side to side play) with a clicking/knocking sound. Could it be more bearings need replacing ? I would split the engine for a closer look but dont have a socket big enough to take the back wheel off.
    I am worried the gears have gone to but dont know how to check for that.

10. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Sooo. I have another engine but i presume its the Morini version which a friend has kindly turned it carbed for me.
    Just got to figure out how to mount it to the frame.
    Plus it does not help when hardly anywhere sells parts for the morini engine anymore, preferably kickstart parts.

Attached Files:

11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Wobbly back wheel could be output shaft bearings or it's just loose.
    Go buy a socket.

12. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Its the output bearings.
    nearly every bearing has gone bad on the engine apart from the small end bearing hence the new engine. This project is going to be long haha

13. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

why not just strip the engine and replace all the bearings and gaskets? At least then you know they are all good. Bearings/seals are not expensive, nor is the gasket set, and for the cost of the small end bearing, stick one of those in as well.
    I have a neos sitting in the garage that will get that exact treatment, just because then I will know for sure that everything is good.

14. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Its a good idea and have thought about that but it would still need new water and oil pumps and head.

My friend donated the morini engine as there is nothing at all wrong with it so we was going to just swap the engines over.
    If that doesnt work im going to have the original frame to.
    As its a project section i will start posting proper project updates and pics and less of problem updates.

15. roniweaver

roniweaver New Member

It looks interesting so I'm waiting for more update.

16. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Been really busy so all i have been doing so far is cleaning the whole engine.
    Heres the 'Before' pics so your have to wait for the after ones until i finished. 20180704_123148.jpg 20180704_132610.jpg 20180704_140522.jpg

roniweaver likes this.
  17. roniweaver

roniweaver New Member

Sure thing! Good luck on your build.

18. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    The best i could do at the moment with the clean. Still abit tatty here and there but alott better than it was.
    Picked up a TK exhaust that im going to fit too after the engines been fit.

Attached Files:

Sam phantom likes this.
  19. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    The mounts had to be a different size didnt they :/
    Now stuck on what to do.
    Any sugestions ? 20180708_102735.jpg 20180708_103555.jpg

20. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Im getting somewhere :)
    Got a new subframe (well not new) to fit the new engine. Will be fitting it tomorrow.
    Then to the hard part.
    Try to wire the morini status/generator and pickup to the piaggio loom.
    Confused how to do it as the morini one has 2 wires for the pick up and 2 for the generator but the loom from the other engine had like 6 wires and all different colors.
    More updates to come..

Attached Files: