Aprilia SR 125 to 172 (Malossi) also, vibration issue and Mikuni VN20 carb?

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by Malossi Tom 172, May 5, 2020.

1. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I'm in Birmingham. This has only been used for testing on a runner 180 before my customer decided to go for the PM59 instead.
    I'll have to play with the image size, site says it's too big. I'll pm you a little later

2. Malossi Tom 172

Malossi Tom 172 New Member

Ah yeah too far to collect so will need to be posted obviously. Give us a shout with how much, I'd be greatful.

3. Malossi Tom 172

It will fit an SR 125 right..?

4. Sam phantom

Sam phantom Active Member

I have run that pipe on a air cooled typhoon I was very happy with it, I don’t like to attract attention

5. Malossi Tom 172

Ta very much for your input, any noted performance increase..?

6. Sam phantom

Sam phantom Active Member

I’d changed the Variator at the same Time so wouldn’t be able to say but was very happy with the Sound,Fairly deep tone and lasted a good 2years before I sold the bike

7. Malossi Tom 172

Okay guys, I've ended up getting a tecnigas exhaust, was only £63 delivered, could do with some wire wheel drill treatment and Stove Paint to tidy it up a bit.

So now my set up is:

Malossi 172
    Tecnigas expansion chambered exhaust
    12.3g Polini rollers (couldn't find the stock ones anywhere) I know this won't affect jetting but forgot to mention
    Stock airbox with Malossi filtering element (was cheaper than OEM element)

What jet are we thinking? I was going to run an 86 with stock exhaust, my bike guy who's stripped it all down to the crank (bearings had play in them) says I'll need to go up significantly due to the expansion chambered exhaust.

Wondering what kind of ball-park you were figuring...

@MARSH any input?

8. Damjan

Damjan Active Member

Rides:
    Baotian Falcon 50R
    As i have heard the technigas exhauts barelly give little more performance than a stock exhaust, up your jet by at least 10 numbers for start then check, if you are experienced you can tell right away from the sound how it is rich/lean. If you have put 100 mainjet for beginning just to be sure its not lean.

9. Malossi Tom 172

Interesting, why is a bigger jet required if the tecnigas theoretically won't draw any more air / fuel through?

10. Damjan

Damjan Active Member

Rides:
    Baotian Falcon 50R
    ???????? Because it will make more hp at higher rpm lmao, ofc you will need to re jet your carb and tune your cvt, thats the most basic stuff.

11. Malossi Tom 172

You literally just said tecnigas makes little to no improvement over a stock exhaust. You can't say that and they say it needs up jetting, that doesn't make any sense matey.

12. Damjan

Damjan Active Member

Rides:
    Baotian Falcon 50R
    Ok pro tuner then tune it ;)

13. Malossi Tom 172

You're still missing the point, if a tecnigas offers no improvement over stock then no additional tuning for the change of exhaust will be required.

14. Damjan

Damjan Active Member

Rides:
    Baotian Falcon 50R
    I have no comment maybe try reading what i typed again and think more deeply (if you are capable)...........

15. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    For a std piped 172cc, I'd run a 90 main jet and with a pipe probably 92-94 ish. But as said start big and work down, these types of pipes seem to rev slightly higher but lack bottom end torque. Damjan say's "little performance gain" so if in dought upjet. I'm on the fence but if members give advice having done things before, might be worth listening !

16. Malossi Tom 172

Oh dear.

Bike built back up, new main bearings and seals, new engine mounts, silent blocks etc etc, 94 main jet...

Took it for a plug chop after heat cycling it a few times, plug is grey so too lean and when I removed the plug smoke was coming out of the cylinder...

Have I just overheated my brand new Malossi and ruined it..?

17. Malossi Tom 172

I have ordered 98-106 jets and I'm hoping I haven't toasted my engine. I only did one WOT run thankfully so hoping it will be okay but wouldn't be surprised if it isn't.