Applying for a V5 Logbook

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Del Sky, May 11, 2019.

1. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Been to the Post Office this morning, to get form V 62, to apply for a logbook for the nearly refurbished moped......I asked someone there if I could also declare it SORN at the same time, no was the reply, "you have to contact DVLA"....the moped was last on the road, I think in 2011, and I acquired it in January this year, as a non-runner, for "spares or repairs".....will there be any unforeseen problems getting the V5c that I should know about ?...….I should have done this when I bought the old girl, the lady at the PO said that is was "quite important" to SORN it straight away, even without the log book...….any thoughts ?

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

3. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

If it's not taxed you have to SORN it. You should still get the V5 though. Having said that the dvla can be buggers to deal with. I remember when I lost my licence (I mean physically lost it, not disqualified) they sent me a replacement but forgot to add my full bike licence. Took months of arguing and correspondence between me and them to finally correct the error of their ways.

Del Sky likes this.
  4. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Mmmhhh….it would seem that the lady in the PO was wrong......after much trawling of the internet it would seem that you cannot SORN a vehicle without the V5 in your name, which makes sense I suppose, there are also tales of people being fined, for having no road tax, or not registering a vehicle as SORN, after buying the said vehicle, working on it, and then applying for the V5....have to be careful here I think.....

milo2025 likes this.
  5. milo2025

Yes that's good to know and well worth remembering.

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I've heard sooo many people lose their categories from their licence, like losing the A when getting the B licence.
    I'm thinking of trading my British license for a Norwegian one. Would I get a snowmobile category if I did?
    Like is there a category for that in the UK?

7. milo2025

Hahaha I don't think so :D

8. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Sent for the V5c today, by post, sent form V62 and form V890 to SORN it at the same time......waste of time going to the Post Office, all they seemed to want to do was sell me an envelope !!….they also don't have the V890, I had to go to local library, and get them to download one, and print it off, as my printer is knackered....I thought that the PO did it electronically, but apparently not, a lady there even suggested going to the local DVLA office, but didn't they all close back in 2013 ?....so just a cautionary tale for others, deal direct with DVLA......

Attached Files:

milo2025 likes this.
  9. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    O.k, Sent for the V5c four weeks ago, today got a letter from DVLA, saying that my request was being dealt with, and that I should receive the logbook in about two weeks.....However, it says on the letter that the vehicle in question is a Honda FX 650, when in actual fact it is a Honda Sky SGX 50 moped, not a 650 cc lump......anyone else had such problems ?.....tried ringing them and got the usual "we are busy right now" response....on the DVLA website it IS given as a 49cc moped......what's going on ?

Attached Files: