Anybody else found this with Agencies?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Stevep, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Getting phone calls from agencies for "PERMANENT" positions, not temp or temp to perm work, then being asked to go into the office and register with them, only to be told that unless you register with them they will not proceed your application for the job?

I'm on this one because I think they are acting illegally by doing this.
    It's deliberately fouling your employment opportunities in my eyes.

I've fired an email off the the relevant regulator/authorities who deal with employment agencies, I'll post the reply if as and when I receive it.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Just had that one with an agencie down in Romford,wanted me to register online or in the office - they are a few of these guys around/worked for them in North London & was already registered.
    What's really pissing me off at the moment , is they or employer's expecting loyalty & for you to not work for other's.especially with day's off or spare time.
    ....would'nt be a problem if they paid the wages ..;).

3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Finally got a reply from the powers that be:
    The last paragraph is the one (highlighted)

Employment Agencies Act 1973

Thank you for your email regarding 118 Recruitment Solutions and Kerry Collins Agency.

I should explain that the Employment Agency Standards (EAS) Inspectorate is responsible for enforcing the provisions of the Employment Agencies Act 1973 and associated regulations. This legislation requires employment agencies and employment businesses to abide by specified minimum standards of conduct. Further details about the legislation can be obtained from our website https://www.gov.uk/employment-agencies-and-businesses.

Under regulation 19 of the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003, an employment business (that engages work-seekers and supplies them to hirers) and an employment agency (which finds work for persons with employers) that finds work for work-seekers who will work with “vulnerable persons” are legally obliged to obtain the following information from all work-seekers that they provide work-finding service to: -

Regulation 19 - Confirmation to be obtained about a work-seeker

(1) An employment business may not introduce or supply a work-seeker to a hirer unless it has obtained confirmation—

(a) of the identity of the work-seeker, and

(b) that the work-seeker has the experience, training, qualifications and any authorisation which the hirer considers are necessary, or which are required by law or by any professional body, to work in the position which the hirer seeks to fill.

(2) An agency may not introduce or supply a work-seeker to a hirer with a view to the work-seeker taking up a position which involves working with, caring for or attending a vulnerable person, unless it has obtained confirmation—

(a) of the identity of the work-seeker, and

(b) that the work-seeker has the experience, training, qualifications and any authorisation which the hirer considers are necessary, or which are required by law or by any professional body, to work in the position which the hirer seeks to fill.

(3) Neither an agency nor an employment business may introduce or supply a work-seeker to a hirer unless it has obtained confirmation that the work-seeker is willing to work in the position which the hirer seeks to fill.

The provisions of this regulation have been amended since 2003 and these requirements used to apply to all work-seekers who applied for work through an employment agency or employment business. Although it is not mandatory for an employment agency (other than those finding work for work-seekers who will work with vulnerable persons) it is common practice in the recruitment sector for employment agencies and employment businesses to require all work-seekers to register for work-finding services before those work-seekers are introduced or supplied to any hirer.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards

Steve Keeler

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Steve Keeler
    Employment Agency Standards – Operations and Prosecutions Manager
    Tel: 020 7215 5788 | Mobile: 07590 463858
    steve.keeler@beis.gov.uk
    Spur 1, 1 Victoria Street, London, SW1H OET
    www.gov.uk/beis | https://twitter.com/beisgovuk

So basically, yes they can ask you to register with them, and if you refuse they are not obliged to continue your application for any position.