Any Zego users? Questions regarding my main insurer

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Junk-man, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Junk-man

Junk-man Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Mojito 125
    Hi, I'm trying to get started working for Stuart as a delivery rider, and signed up to Zego for PAYG Hire & Reward insurance.

However my main insurer (Bikesure / Xpect) tells me I can't do it - even though I'm not asking them to cover my courier work, Bikesure say I'd still have to list "Courier" as an occupation with Xpect, and since they don't cover that occupation it would cause my policy to be invalidated.

Out of curiosity I've searched for quotes on some of the leading price comparison sites - even if you're only asking them for SD&P, merely listing "courier" as an occupation causes the number of quotes to dwindle from around 30 to less than 5, and the prices go way up. So it seems not to be an issue limited only to my insurer.

It seems like the only way to be able to use Zego is to lie to your main insurer about the fact that you do courier work on the side, which seems dodgy as fuck. Are there any Zego users on here? How have you dealt with this?

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Never heard of zego.
    But I would think that if you are using the same bike for courier work as you do for private/pleasure, then you can only have one insurance policy on it at any one time.

3. Junk-man

Junk-man Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Mojito 125
    Well they're founded on the idea that you *can* have more than one policy - a full annual insurance policy for courier work is prohibitively expensive if you only want to work part time, and Zego have tried to fill the gap in that market by offering the insurance on a PAYG basis, to run alongside a normal SD&P policy. There are now many Deliveroo, UberEats etc riders who use it.

But the way it's supposed to work - how you square it with your main insurers - seems very ill-defined, there aren't any clear answers online. My suspicion is that a lot of those riders haven't told their main insurer that they're doing this, and it's only a matter of time before we start hearing about riders having claims voided and policies cancelled when they have accidents.

But if someone out there knows otherwise, I'm all ears!

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

As far as I know you can only have one insurance policy per vehicle. Stops multiple scam claims.
    You can have multiple bikes on one policy as we all know, but not multiple occupations.
    Maybe a second bike is the answer, after all, if the courier work takes off then you will rackup the mileage on whatever bike you use.

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Hmmm is it because of the theft problem in London that they wont insure couriers?
    Insurance is such a fucking con, they always try and weasel their way out of payment.

6. Junk-man

Junk-man Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Mojito 125
    High risk of accidents - earnings have a time incentive, more deliveries = more money, which means riders are more likely to be reckless and break speed limits.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  7. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Ever thought of being an 'in house ' courier - with a company bike and insurance.?.

8. Junk-man

Junk-man Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Mojito 125
    Yes, but thinking about it sadly doesn't make the vacancies appear!