Anti corrosion products

Discussion in 'Bike Chat' started by MrXT, Jun 24, 2015.

1. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Do these actually work on the exhaust? things like acf 50, scottoiler ect? they claim to stop rust and corrosion by creating a layer over the metal to prevent that from happening but what i cant get my mind around is an exhaust heats up to very very high temperatures in excess of 400c for even a small bike and higher for larger bikes how can the product you just coat on the exhaust not burn off completely under those conditions? the active ingredient in most appears to be silicon which is water proof but at what condition would that just burn off entirely?

I own 2 different products acs tech cote which was actually pretty effective somehow and now i use scottoiler and since switching to that iv noticed some corrosion on my exhaust and scottoiler is water based so there cant be any silicon. If silicon is what makes it effective couldnt i just use wd40 or gt85?

Thoughts?

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

wd40 doesnt have silicon in it... i just use heat proof paint, stops rust and sticks..... but if its a piaggio you are gonna have to replace the exhaust in 2 years anyway, so just buy a stainless one...

3. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Its corroding again where I used heat proof paint.

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

prepare it better. ive had 2 winters out of mine and its still looking great...

5. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Im a qualified painter and decorator i know how to prepare a rusted surface for painting. Its at an exposed point where road shit gets tossed at it over and over scratching at the paint and now its corroding again. Maybe i need more layers or the paint iv used is shit.

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

i used i think 3 on mine, but it needs to cure. i like to cure it between layers

7. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

I used 2 layers and cured it the same way between coats.

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

hmmmm odd.....

9. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

I use acf50, great on bike except the exhaust which just burns it all off. I fully sanded, emery'ed and removed all rust from my last scooter exhaust, it shone bright. I used exhaust primer and three coats of exhaust paint.....lasted four months and the rust came through as strong as ever?! Now i just replace when holed and have brown exhausts.