AJs Firefox engine type?

Discussion in 'Scooter Guides' started by Nick OBrien, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Nick OBrien

Nick OBrien New Member

Hi,can anyone tell me what engine is in an Ajs Firefox 15 plate 50cc? My son bought one to replace his piaggio nrg which some one destroyed by trying to steal it. Drive belt broke on ajs and it seems someone welded the variator to the end of the crank! Now have one piaggio with a knackered frame and an Ajs with a ruined engine! Help please as running out of ideas!

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    AJS firefox would be either the GY6 fourstroke chinese motor, or the twostroke chinese motor.

welded fixed pulley is not a good sign, its usually done because the crank splines have gone , poor fitting of the fixed half plate has caused damage to the crank splines and as a quick fix they weld the plate on just to get you around while you source a new crank and likes.

i would look on ebay, if they have only mashed up the wire loom its possible the NRG could be fitted with a second hand loom and be put back onto the road. if the motors blown you can tend to find spare motors on ebay or in breakers yards for bikes its just a case of phoning round to find one.

but yes sounds like the AJS runs the twostroke chinese twostroke motors

3. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

See if the engine number has the prefix 1E40QMB.
    This means it has the Minarelli type Chinese engine. It was fitted to lots of scooters so you might be able to pickup another engine or even another cheap scooter and swap parts/engine over.
    I would give up on the engine you have. If it has been welded on it'll have to be cut off to replace the crank and variator.
    Chinese spares are very cheap but it's a matter of cost against the value of your scooter.

https://www.chinesemotorcyclepartsonline.co.uk/

http://www.pedparts.co.uk/bikes/chinese/2-stroke-50cc

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  4. Nick OBrien

Nick OBrien New Member

Hi,thanks for your help. According to the details I've found the engine no is A 3XY0O or maybe LJ1PE40QMB? Does this mean anything as don't want to buy the wrong engine type! Thanks Nick

5. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Have a look just under the kickstart at the front lower edge of the belt cover. The numbers are usually there.
    The long normal number is just the number of the unit. If you quote the first part of the code to the parts supplier it will let them know what engine you have. I suspect it's the second code you quoted.
    This might help you understand but just quote the make/year and the code you find
    https://chinesescooterparts.com/chinese-engine-code-deciphering/

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  6. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    its a chinese minarelli 1PE40QMB aka chinese two stroke, chinese scooters come in two flavours fourstroked GY6 variant motors or they have a minarelli copy twostroke motor and your motor ID number is for the minarelli chinese twostorker version ;)

i put the link below to the largest chinese parts supplyer they will have cranks and vairators that will replace the one thats welded up, what you need to do is cut the nut of the crank holding variator on then get that variator off and the motor out of the scooter frame, then its just a case of grabbing the gasket set for it and splitting the engine, while at it i would also replace the small end bearing and both the bottom end crank bearings and oil seals, this way you know when its rebuilt its done propper with all fresh parts ( less crap to go wrong)

CMPO : web site is the place to go for spares : https://www.chinesemotorcyclepartsonline.co.uk/

out of curiosty whats wrong with the NRG, if its a stolen recovered they usually hack around the wiring loom trying to hotwire it and if they get it running its usually cosmetic damage. if they bust the steering lock it can be replaced when you put a new ignition set in ( second hand) , you can also re-loom the nrg with a second hand loom. maybe get the AJS running for time being so he has something for transport and re-build the NRG

when the nrg is rebuilt he can sell the AJS to a young new rider getting cash back and it having a rebuilt motor will last a good time , he can then get back onto the NRG thats going to have a bit more pep than the little chinese scoot and a beter name and parts base to

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017