Airsal 70cc tech racing kit or airsal 70cc sport cylinder kit?

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by JakeMan1, Jan 18, 2017.

1. JakeMan1

JakeMan1 Member

So should I check my crank for signs of wear? What should I really be looking for generally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. JakeMan1

JakeMan1 Member

Thanks for the advice, from now on I'll leave her to tick over for longer

3. JakeMan1

JakeMan1 Member

Should I buy a new crank? If so please could you suggest which I should buy

4. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    14,000 km is only 8660 miles ,usually your looking at around 15,000 miles on a stock crank, maybe less if your daft and rag the bike like a monkey 24/7 and ride balls to the wall hoon style.

checking crank is taking variator off and giving the crank spine a little tug thats gonna tell you if the cranks got horizontal movement meaning is wearing a little, any vertical movement in the crank spline meas the bottom end bearings are going or shot through.

a stock crank an just about handle the 70cc sport kits , but if your going semi racing /racing kits its not going to last to long.
    replacement would want to be a full crank ( stuffed crank as we oldies call them ) it means theres more meat and can produce a higher down stroke compression because theres more crank in the bottom case ( mass and meat on the crank ), race cranks can costs stupid money but the usual street cranks are good enough. if you replace a crank your also going to be replacing the bottom end bearings and the oil seals to, you do not want to be using the old ones so they get pulled out and replaced with new.

5. TheSnipez

TheSnipez New Member

Check the crank first, there's no point replacing it if it's fine, take off the variator cover and variator and grab the part of the crank the variator sits on and shake it around to see if there is any play, if there is then your main bearings need to be replaced. To check the other crank bearings you need to take the cylinder off and check the top end bearing which the gudgeon pin goes through for any wear. Then check the big end bearing which connects the conrod to the rest of the crank. To do this turn the turn the crank until the conrod is at its highest point and then pull and push the conrod away from the rest of the crank and see if there is any play, if there is you need a new crankshaft but a bit of side to side play is fine. If you need a new crank in the end then if you are keeping a 50cc then just get something like the motoforce reinforced one and a good set of seals and bearings. If you decide to upgrade to a 70cc at the time then go for a stage 6 HPC and some Stage 6 C4 bearings.

6. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    the above is correct, altho remember when checking/pushing and pulling on the crank, it should have a little bit of float to it, called end float, its ammount shows how much wear or how free the bearings are.

7. steve82

steve82 Nrg power

Rides:
    Piaggio nrg power dd
    Sorry to interrupt where it the restrictor on the air box?

8. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    there is no such thing