Aircooled/liquidcooled cases

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by GazD, Dec 30, 2013.

1. GazD

GazD Active Member

anyone experienced with piaggio A/C W/C 125/172cc engines?

the plan is to fit an aircooled malossi 172cc kit to my watercooled engine,already spoke to srt who will rebuild+clean the engine with new bearings and bolt on a kit,carb and gear kit and get it dyno'd

just trying to get clued up with how its done before i send it off and start buying parts

i plan on using this engine in an open frame so cooling on the move shouldnt be a problem,,,il be using the liquidcooled stator,flywheel and cdi so i wont be using the black fan and covers

how are the aircooled cases blanked off compared to the liquidcooled cases?

does the typhoon 125cc aircooled barrel fit the liquidcooled case?

if iam removing my oil pump/water pump does the void need blanking,,,seeing as the aircooled cylinder is blanked off already,,,,is it just a case of bolting on an aircooled cylinder and the rest can be left in?

liquidcooled case showing the water pump
    [​IMG]

aircooled cases
    [​IMG]

172cc kit showing the blanked off water jacket
    [​IMG]

aircooled case showing oil belt
    [​IMG]

anyone know the difference with this hole A/C and W/C after the belt drive has been removed?
    [​IMG]

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    It all depend's if your going to premix or not. The A/C top end will bolt straight on the L/c cases and you will need to use the fan/cylinder cowling on the A/C engine unless sprinting it and I'd use the A/c stator/cdi if I was you. If you'r premixing then just remove water pump out, no need to fill the water ways up.

3. GazD

GazD Active Member

yeah no need for the water pump or oil pump,il be removing both,,,just wondered if it would make a difference if i blocked the two holes either side of the engine case's,,,,,the one for the water inlet and the other for the waterpump shaft

when fitting the malossi 172 aircooled kit the water jacket is blocked off so this makes the the water ways in the cases obsolete???

after reading a few threads on here ive found out i can use the liquidcooled stator,flywheel and cdi with an aircooled cylinder,,giving abit more bhp and setup with the right carb can run decent temps,,what makes you advise agasint it?

when it comes to running the engine without the fan and cowling,,iam trying to work out if riding with an open frame would be sufficient cooling,,riding in my local meets i would be riding for 15mins on average at speed then we stop for a pint then go for another thrash,,,we rarely hit traffic out in the sticks so iam not going to be sat ticking over

cheers,,,gaz

4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    As you say, just block water ways, it's entirely up to you on the stator/cdi set up, it will run a lot hotter so as for the cowling it realy need's to be used, you will seize it up!

5. GazD

GazD Active Member

this is what iam trying to work out mate,,,,if i fit an aircooled cylinder to watercooled cases,,do you have to block the holes? because nothing is going through it

this is a post from minorconfused

The timing difference from ac to wc is to restrict power. The ac with the lc stator makes more power than the lc, it also keeps the revs low, wich will keep the engine cooler, as will more fuel (fuel through an engine is actually a coolant) so aslong as you increase the fueling to stop detonation it should sit at similar temps.. More air/fuel means cooler running, its when more air/fuel gets lean (what happens with timing changes) you get the extra heat produced.. It will get warmer sat in traffic, but nothing like throwing a sports type pipe on there. If you do have a diff pipe on there having the ac stator/cdi is actually worse for heat, as the timings trying to kill the engine at the rpm's the pipe opperates at

this kid seem to know his stuff,,,,i know its aircooled and i will have to keep an eye on running temp but iam hoping to run it without the black cover,,,suppose if i wanted to go for a longer run i could just bolt the fan on and away i go

6. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    You don't have to block the holes off, just leave them. Minorconfused doe's know his stuff and I'm not going to argue as I've never tried changing cdi's, I asked a well known 2t tuner and he said you could run into problems due to heat. Try it and let us know how it run's, I still say run it with the cowlings on.