air bubble in oil line near the carb

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by a1i.cu, Dec 12, 2018.

1. a1i.cu

a1i.cu New Member

Rides:
    Peugeot Speedfight 3
    I have today drained the oil, but unfortunately, I now have a large air bubble between the oil pump and carb. How do I bleed it? I thought if I tap the pipe the air bubble would move up (as I would do when changing the brake hoses.)

It's a Peugeot Speedfight 50 R, 2014. How can I get the air bubble out? I don't know much about carbs, except no oil will mean the engine will cease up...

I just can't see anything through google to help.....

And it's help I need !

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Make sure the oil pump is working by looking and making sure the bubble moves towards the carb, if so just run the engine until it's gone. If it's a long bubble you could squirt a little oil into the carb while running the engine.

3. a1i.cu

a1i.cu New Member

Rides:
    Peugeot Speedfight 3
    Thanks Marsh - the air bubble appears to be stuck next to the carb - it's quite a large one of at least 3 cms. It doesn't appear to be reducing. There is oil bubbling through but not at the right level obviously! My concern is that if I keep on running the engine not enough oil will get to it and the engine will be damaged. My train of thought is now going to this:
    1. take the oil line off the carb
    2. attach a syringe on the carb oil inlet
    3. suck up oil from the carb, with backflow, putting oil into the syringe and keeping the carb full of oil
    4. run the engine

I'm hoping that
    1. the oil pump will continue to move the oil down the line removing the bubble
    2. the oil pump will suck the oil out of the syringe. If not, then I can push the syringe slowly, to keep oil in the carb
    If there's a need to put more oil into the syringe, I'll stop the engine and suck oil from the carb.

I'm hoping that the pump will push out the air bubble from the line, and when the line is full
    1. turn off the engine
    2. remove the syringe
    3. attach the line back to the carb

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Why did you drain the oil?
    You can add a little straight into the tank, take the oil pipe off, and run the engine for a minute the oil should slowly start dripping out.