Aerox upgrade recomendations

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by kp46, Apr 11, 2018.

1. kp46

kp46 Member

Rides:
    YAMAHA AEROX
    so i have a standard 2013 aerox that does 42 on flat with the variotor washer thing taken out. My main concern is what 5mm and 6mm jet sizes mean. I dont know what i need for the stock carb. I want to find out if the following will be good to have a slight increase in speed:

http://www.pedparts.co.uk/product/474/standard-yamaha-aerox-exhaust (then derestrict)

http://www.pedparts.co.uk/product/709/dellorto-6mm-single-jets (68 or 70 jet?)

http://www.pedparts.co.uk/product/2157/exhaust-studs-nuts-and-gasket-set (to replace the old gasket)

http://www.pedparts.co.uk/product/4020/dellorto-phva-gasket-set (replace carb gaskets when i change the jet)

i wanna confirm this will work and if anyone recomends anything else would be good

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

The 5 and 6mm jet sizes are the size of the thread that screws in the hole, think of it as a 5mm or 6mm bolt.
    Most dellortos are 6mm jet threads but take yours out and measure it to be sure, just the width of the thread.
    By de-restricting the exhaust you will probably need to up-jet 2 or 3 sizes, for instance from a 70 to either a 72 or 74 or 76, but you need to know what size jet is in there now. There is a number on the bottom or side of the main jet. Best to buy a pack of 10 jets and have a play to find the right one.
    You shouldn't need any exhaust studs unless you snap one off, then you're in trouble because the barrel has to come off in order to get it out.
    New nuts and gasket is a good idea.
    Shouldn't need to change the float bowl gasket unless its broken. But it's not a bad idea if it looks very hard and flat.
    You can ask Ped Parts to remove the restriction cone in the exhaust for you.

3. kp46

kp46 Member

Rides:
    YAMAHA AEROX
    ok thanks will i need to upjet further if i get a new air filter?

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

not if you're keeping the standard airbox no, but yes if you fit an open type filter, then you will definately need to boxes of 10 jets.

5. Northernerbill

Northernerbill Member

All wise words from Steve.

Don’t change the air filter it will let way too much air in for a 50 with minimal tuning. They are tempting but not required yet on your set up.

When I went from a 50cc to 70cc I up jetted by 4, 68-72 and then found 71 was best. Doubtful you’ll get it right first time.

Also if your new to this and find you take the exhaust on and off a few times then as they are so cheap I think new studs are a good idea, just as above don’t over tighten them when fitting the exhaust.

6. 4strokelover

4strokelover Active Member

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Good advice especially with the studs. I cant count how many times i have over tightened them and they snapped making me drill them out lol

7. kp46

kp46 Member

Rides:
    YAMAHA AEROX
    omg i hate studs they coundnt come out and decided to snap instead. looks like they eroded and were very thin. im really disappointed with it its an 2013 not that externally old. how am i meant to get it out without spending lots of money on it. to me it looks like it will never comeout and probs needs drilling out but seems hard to drill it out when its upside down

https://media.discordapp.net/attach...89039781642271/image.jpg?width=565&height=754

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  8. Northernerbill

Northernerbill Member

Don’t panic first of all. It happened to me too, and I was going carefully and still snapped one.
    Right you’ve 2 choices really.

1, order new studs, new gasket and buy some mole grips (if any of the stud is showing).
    Remove the cylinder head (honestly easy job 4 bolts) then once out using the mole grips grab what’s left and whirl them out.
    2, Buy a new cylinder head, maybe a good time to get a 70cc head. The motoforce one from pedparts is great and at under £70 a no brainer.
    I was a noob still managed to fit that head with the engine still in the scooter.

Come back to us with what you do next and we will try to help

9. kp46

kp46 Member

Rides:
    YAMAHA AEROX
    this just seems overwhelming. i dont want to take off cylinder as not sure how to remove the water cooling and all this shit and gonna take a shot at drilling and taping tomorrow and come back with the result. i have new studs and an exhaust gasket and already tried the mole grips. seems like my bolt is rusted or corroded to the cylinder. this aint looking good as my first time moped moding

10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

DO NOT TRY IT STILL ON THE ENGINE AND IN THE BIKE. YOU WILL BALLS IT UP.
    Take a breath, undo yhe water hoses, dump the liquid, take the barrel off.

Northernerbill likes this.
  11. Northernerbill

Northernerbill Member

The studs snapping on me was what finally made me go the 70cc route, but yeh it overwhelmed me too.....but having done it I can say it’s not that hard.

If you had 2 scooters side by side, one drilling and one replacing guess which one finished first.

Also if drilling have you got the reverse taper tool that bites to cause the final removal, if not......

Even though I replaced my head, once I had the old head off I was able to remove the sheared bolt with the mole grips, in the bike impossible.

Pedparts are quick and will probably have either the stock head or an upgrade.

By the way I meant engine gasket!!

12. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I have a pillar drill in my garage and most of the time I don't bother with trying to drill the studs out, it's easier to replace the barrel complete

13. Northernerbill

Northernerbill Member

Exactly my thoughts.

Stevep likes this.
  14. kp46

kp46 Member

Rides:
    YAMAHA AEROX
    omg dont have money for this now.

15. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

You can get a Naraku 70 kit for around £40 if you shop around. Don't panic, it's not the end of the world.

16. kp46

kp46 Member

Rides:
    YAMAHA AEROX
    ture worst case i use a bicycle for a month

17. kp46

kp46 Member

Rides:
    YAMAHA AEROX
    2FDA7DF5-3298-43B9-8EA3-95AED8CFD5F4.jpeg
    So I managed to drillout old bolts and put in new studs :) just neeed to wait 24 hours for Threadlocker to do its magic

Stevep likes this.
  18. Northernerbill

Northernerbill Member

Well done then. Not sure it needs threadlock though.

Looking at that minging engine you can see why it corroded the old studs.

Hope the rest all goes well

19. kp46

kp46 Member

Rides:
    YAMAHA AEROX
    i love the speed goes 50 on flat now and goes up hills with no problems im am very happy with the result. i couldn't wait 24hours for threadlocker and hoped for the best and just had a go. the 68jet works good i think. i haven't tried other jets only have a 70 anyway and i dont think its need upjetting further.

so thanks for the help i really appreciate it

20. Northernerbill

Northernerbill Member

Brilliant and well done!!

Post us up a picture of the scooter too!