Aerox NS50 -- Review --

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Tins81, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Tins81

Tins81 Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox SP55
    I've owned my new shape Aerox now for a couple of months. I've used it daily for commuting back and to work. As there is nothing online much about the new Aerox, review, details etc i thought I'd do a quick review myself.

Looking at the new shape you can obviously see its still an Aerox. The designers at MBK have kept the main shape of the previous model with updating certain parts and lines so its instantly recogoniseable as an Aerox.
    image.jpg

Available at the moment the Aerox comes in just three colours. Blue/black, red/white and the third which I chose was lunar grey. I'm still not sure about the lunar grey. Sometimes it looks nice and then other times I just think its coloured plastic and the same used on Dyson vacuum cleaners :-D
    The front of the new shape has just been updated with all new parts but mainly updated. The main difference is the headlights. Although similar shaped to the previous model they are vastly improved. Gone has the old ancient bulb from the previous century and now replaced with a up to date modern halogen bulb.

image.jpg

As my daily drive to work involves mainly driving down unlit country roads the old Aerox was a challenge to see more than a metre in front if me :-D Even using the full beam didn't do much and only reduced the ligh ringing directly in front of the moped. The halogen bulb makes alot of difference. Now the unlit road is clearly visible and by switching to main beam the whole rode is lit up and makes riding much more safely :)

image.jpg

The display has been brought right up to date. No analogue speedo or fuel gauge but a completely modern LCD display which is backlit. In the dark the screen is red with black digits making it easy to see and read whilst looking pretty cool. All the information you need is clearly displayed and a big advantage over the previous model is now it has a clock. No more guessing the time or trying to look at your wrist whilst riding now :-D maybe I'm asking a little too much but I'd of liked to maybe have a temperature display included. I think it'd be pretty useful I it just displayed the outside temperature too.

image.jpg

One area where it is noticeable that money has been saves through manufacturing is the hand grips and brake levers. Although they don't look too bad they're of cheaper quality than the old Aerox. The hand grips are hard wearing but look dull compared to the rest of bike. The brake levers too are very cheap. Practical but you'd be probably wanting to upgrade these.

Now the main money saving on this moped is the brakes. The Aerox still has front and rear disc brakes but they are no longer Brembo's. The brakes are painted black and to be honest look good. It's a shame then the brake lines running to them are now cheap rubber hoses compared to the old braided metal ones.
    Whilst riding its obvious the brakes aren't quite as shrapnel as the old ones. One thing I've noticed though is with new model that the brakes don't squeak. Ive owned a few Aerox's and always suffered with the brakes squeezing. I was constantly cleaning them. Up to yet I've not had any squeeky brakes.

image.jpg

The riding position is completely different and that's obvious with the new seat. The seat is comfortable and when first riding the new Aerox you realise there is less movement. With the new floor board combined with the seat there is less movement and it kind of feels more like riding a proper bike. At first this is a little odd but you soon get used to it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The floorboards are of quality well made plastic. One small improvement of holes where the screws are stop water staying there and prematurely rusting the screws. One big noticeable feature on the new Aerox is that the screws and bolts have been improved. From the bolts used on the fairings to the screws used on the plastics. So hopefully they'll not rust as easy like on the old shape.

image.jpg

The dual seat is made from quality material. Unlike the older shape you can carry a pillion easy and there no longer sat on an uncomfortable piece of rubber with a fuel cap between they're ass cheeks.
    When you turn the key to open the seat the pillion seat automatically pops up which is a nice feature. Under the pillion seat hidden away nicely is the fuel cap and oil. It's great that both are together and filling up the two stroke oil is much easier. Filling up the moped with fuel is a real bad point on this moped. I've tried several times to fill the moped up without fuel spilling out. If you hold the fuel pipe in on full when it's full you get a big blow out which goes everywhere. I've tried even pushing the nozzle in gently but you still get fuel everywhere. I'm hoping this problem will be sorted out somehow in future models produced.

image.jpg

The underseat storage I'd big enough to fit a full face helmet but its smaller than the old model. The previous model could easily fit my Schuberth flip helmet but the new shape can't. This is disappointing as the storage by the battery has gone too. That little storage area I always found useful for carrying my disc lock. So it's not good that new shape has much less storage :-(

image.jpg

The engine, carb and full running mechanics have been unchanged from the previous model. So you have countless options on the market already to tune and customise.

To the rear of the bike the Aerox is pretty much unrecognisable. The rear light has been brought up to date and the indicators have been made from quality clear plastics. The mud guard is no longer just a price of plastic. It's more styled and includes a separate number plate light to illuminate the number plate.

image.jpg image.jpg

Finally, the exhaust. Like all 50cc mopeds the new Aerox comes restricted to 30mph. The restrictor a come as a bolt in the variator, the exhaust with the main jet downsized to match. I removed the variator nut straight away. I was surprised as the Aerox easily does 45mph this way. On older models I found it difficult to reach 40mph with just the nut removed. Maybe this has something to do with new aerodynamic shape, thinner tyres?? The overall weight is identical to the old one too... Anyway, back to the exhaust. It's the same exhaust from the previous model. The main noticeable difference is the heat sheild. It's no longer a little peice of plastic but a large angular guard. I think it makes the exhaust look much better and quirky. Also it's practical as it cover almost all the exhaust it's easier to cover up your bike at night with a cover than weight up to an hour for the exhaust to cool down. Once I've had the first service (600miles) and the engine is run in I'll be replacing it with a chrome LeoVince ZX :)

OVERALL VERDICT - With such an iconic moped as the Aerox you're always going to get haters and people prefer the smoother curvier look of the old shape. I must admit my previous SP55 had much better graphics and colour scheme. Being introduced in 97 and pretty much going to 13 without many visual or engineering changes just goes to show how well designed and engineered the moped was in the first place.
    I believe the cosmetic changes have brought the moped up to date and now can compete with the latest offerings from Europe and Asia. The £2199 price might sound steep for a 50cc but that price hasn't changed since I first owned an Aerox in 98. For that money you get a quality made bike and reliability of Yamaha and its extensive dealer network.
    The changes aren't just visual though. The main difference when riding this moped is how it handles! The old Aerox was renowned as one of the best handling 50cc's. the new Aerox is in a completely different league now. From the first time you pull away it feels another and better made. The new frame makes the moped feel more sexurity and stable. The plastics and fairings are better made and assembled so there's less noise and plastics shaking :) Cornering feels easier as the new frame keeps the moped posture but the most noticeable improvement is Webb slowing down or driving at low speed. The previous Aerox would get a little twitchy but the new model rides smith and is much easier to keep your balance and stay in a perfect straight line :)
    I was unsure if MBK/Yamaha could reinvent the Aerox again and keep it like the old but modernise it. Theyve successfully done it and gone even further...
    I'd highly recommend the new Aerox to anybody considering a new moped. Ok, it has a few faults like most other mopeds but these are heavily outweighed by all the positives of this moped.
    I'm looking forward in hearing if anybody else owns a new Aerox and what are their thoughts to?
    Apart from the engine and exhaust upgrades they're I'd not alot out there at the moment... So I'm looking forward soon to web third party companies start manufacturing accessories and visual modifications :) image.jpg

2. c0nn0r77

c0nn0r77 Member

Rides:
    Aerox 70
    good review but in my opinion its more cheap looking and the back is very ugly, I do like the back seat tho

3. c0nn0r77

c0nn0r77 Member

Rides:
    Aerox 70
    good review but in my opinion its more cheap looking and the back is very ugly, I do like the back seat tho

4. Tins81

Tins81 Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox SP55
    To be honest I'd disagree with you saying it looks cheaper. The bike is made much more solid than the previous model. As I mentioned in the review, tiny details such as the quality of the screws and the overall quality of the plastics fitting together flushly and neat makes the moped look of a better quality.
    Certain details such as the back in my opinion have been well designed and improved. The rear light on the old model looked very dated and the standard indicators were from something out of the 80's. it might not be to every bodies liking but its modern and fresh looking. The Aerox was looking old and dated to the liked I the Speedfight 3 & Runner etc. Now it's up there again and setting the standards again just like the first Aerox did over 15 years ago.

5. Subw00fer

Subw00fer Snqʍ00ɟǝɹ

Rides:
    70cc NRG
    not a fan of the rear atall, way too much going on

6. Wayne76

Wayne76 New Member

7. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

8. milo2025

Oh I see what you've done now lol. The guy hasn't been on since Jan 2015 so I doubt you'll get an answer bud. Not from him anyway.

9. Wayne76

Wayne76 New Member

Ok thanks

10. milo2025

Someone might know though so it's worth keeping an eye on your post.

11. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

The 2t and 4t are exactly the same bodywork wise