Aerox help

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by matt kuhnert, Dec 27, 2013.

1. matt kuhnert

matt kuhnert Member

Ok so i checked the rollers there all good nice and round, one thing i noticed in the transmission but is that the belt has quite alot of tension like hard to turn it but its very squishy like if you squeeze it together and it squeeks alot when you manually turn it around

My attention is back at the carb at the moment so im going to go pick up does somethign like 83-87 size main jet and just go down 1 by one from my 88?

I just need to know quite what im looking for for it to sound right when it has the right jet in and should i constantly check the actual spark plug bit where it goes into the cylinder or the bit on the end of the coil after i change the jet and ride.

2. matt kuhnert

matt kuhnert Member

My take off is not ok at the moment either haha, when i first start up the bike from a cold start it will shoot off like normal until 30-40 and then keep going up but not as fast as it used to when takeoff but then within 2 minutes of riding it is back to the usual shitty self so the takeoff has gotten worse with the speed aswell so its pretty much just all round im just not sure if all this can just be a really out of tune carburettor since it hasnt been touched really since been installed

3. turbovetto

turbovetto Well-Known Member

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Hi
    there are a couple of things I would try;
    - If there is absolutely no slip on the variator (belt is stuck & squeaky like you describe) I would take the ventilated pulley off and stick a 0.4 mm thick washer - then put it back together. Belts get teddy-beared and generally are grippier when they are used. If you widen the slider a tiny bit with a washer - you get everything slipping better and - like a 'limited slip diff' - you get faster take off.

Next - I would have the rear spring variator off and apart - cleaned with turps - and re-greased. The grease in there gets thrown off by centrifugal force and then it starts sticking. The heat of general use turns it to chewing gum. The typical symptom of this is the scoot is more or less OK but bogs if you slow down & then open it up again. The mechanism is sticky & the spring can't get the belt back up to a higher effective diameter on the rear variator.

Then I would look at the clutch (before you put the rear variator back together). Get the stiffest springs you can.

Then, and only then - would I have a look at the mixture (air?) screw. If it still has a shitty start (and I bet it will be better after that lot) then try opening the air screw 1/8th of a turn. If it's good cold and crap warm at the start - it might be a tad rich.

But it sounds to me as,if we're dealing with a transmission that needs some t.l.c.

4. matt kuhnert

matt kuhnert Member

Ok ill give those things a shot thanks

5. matt kuhnert

matt kuhnert Member

ok so my malossi variator showed up today, i dont really feel like paying the guy at the shop to fit it so ive decided im going to do it myself, could someone please talk me through the easiest way to install this variator because usually to undo the stock one i wedge a tiny spanner in the back of the variator hole thing and then it locks it in place and i just use a socket wrench, since this variator doesnt have these gaps at the back im unsure at the moment what tools i should try use, i would just do all this with an impact wrench if i had one or the funds to buy one haha

Also should i put in the white spring that came with it? im 99.9% sure it already has an aftermarket spring in there but yeah, Also its come with like 3 washers all different widths im wondering if any of these i should be using when installing it

6. matt kuhnert

matt kuhnert Member

ok i managed to install the variator with the 4.4gram malossi rollers i got aswell, to tighten the variator all the way i just wedged the handle of one of my socket wrenchs between the variator and case and it worked, not intending on doing it again but i got it apart and had to leave in 30 minutes so it had to get done, ive still got the stock torque spring at the moment and im going to get the white malossi one installed tomorrow hopefully, the acceleration is alot better i can tell already even though its not taking off perfectly cause the whole scooter is semi out of tune but its a very good upgrade for the money ide say compared to some other things

7. matt kuhnert

matt kuhnert Member

i have just ridden it for a few hours and the acceleration is so so much better and i havent even changed the torque spring yet, it does only top out at 80km at the moment though i dont know why? i put in a 0.4 mm washer aswell and the bolt doesnt screw all the way in i dont know why but its fully tightened and its about half way maybe i need a gear up kit cause the gears are longer? when i tryed to start it with the crankcase on it didnt go and the kickstart would move down a tiny bit each time i tryed to electric start it and i took off the kickstart mechanism so it doesnt work at the moment and it doesnt hit it and make that noise

8. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    If you've got the malossi variator I doubt you need a washer - The 'Lossi is wider than stock.

9. matt kuhnert

matt kuhnert Member

Ah ok ill remove it then, will there be any difference from my stock yamaha belt to a malossi x kevlar one? Im replacing it anyway cause mines starting to crackle, im going to order a gear up kit soon are they an effort to install? So any thoughts on why it wont go over 80km but my acceleration is really insane and Ive gone from 4.3 - 4.4 rollers

10. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Yes. The Malossi belt will be wider and a better fit for the variator. With the stock belt you may find that the top speed will be lacking. This is because it's narrower and so it won't ride up as high at full pelt.
    The other difference is that it's reinforced and will last longer.

11. matt kuhnert

matt kuhnert Member

Ok ill be ordering that soon on scooter attack all 3 malossi gear up kits should be the same right? the only difference in them is the item number is slightly different

12. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    No, they are all different. They all have different final drive ratios. A higher final drive ratio could add some more top speed at the expense of some of the acceleration. The higher you go, the bigger the trade-off of acceleration against top end is.

13. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Merlin is right. Talk to Pedparts. Tell them what you've got - they will know what you need. And be a good customer and buy it from them.

14. matt kuhnert

matt kuhnert Member

Pedparts doesnt ship to australia does it? last time i checked it was only countries in europe thats why i didnt order from them

15. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    oh bloody 'ell.

16. matt kuhnert

matt kuhnert Member

so once ive installed the malossi variator the acceleration is now really good but i only use like a tiny bit of throttle not even 1/4 and its crazy acceleration but if i go full it like shuts off and just slows down really fast like doesnt bog at all just like shuts down its weird, does anyone know what could be causing this? i havent put the malossi torque spring in aswell if that could be it

17. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    are you sure that you got a standard re-inforced belt and not the overrange belt? have a look at the belt. is it getting mashed by the strenghening ribs of the tranny case? otherwise it´s something else. What colour is the spark plug (the business end)?

18. matt kuhnert

matt kuhnert Member

i still have the stock belt, waiting on the malossi one, since i had the trouble when i put the spark plug back in on an angle and scrweed the thread on the first 2 threads its very hard to get it in and out i had to use a bit of quick steel to make the first 2 threads like just circular so that the spark plug could just bypass them

19. matt kuhnert

matt kuhnert Member

so finally today my package arrived. Inside was 2 stage 6 brake fluid cylinder caps, size 85 jet, stage 6 waterpump cnc, malossi kevlar belt

ive chucked on the brake fluid caps

stuck in the 85 jet and i can tell it has made a difference now when i start it it doesnt require any throttle or anything like dont have to hold the button for even 1 second just tap it and it starts

Put the stage 6 waterpump on but it comes with an impellor that is larger than the original one but once i took the actual waterpump cover off i noticed theres a little clip holding the impellor in and i have tryed and tryed to get it undone like widen it so i can change the impellor but have not been able to any ideas?

Hopefully tomorrow or the next day i will take it to the shop as i dont have the right tools to install the malossi kevlar x belt and the malossi white torque spring from my variator.

Questions:
    Will there be much difference once i attach the bigger impellor?
    im not sure if i have the perfect jet size yet but it seems close to perfect, not sure if i mentioned but the scooter once i stopped like at traffic lights if i dont open the throttle a tiny bit and close it every few seconds itll cut out and engine will turn off well now this does not happen once ive changed the jet

The scooter overall even though ive only really changed the jet nothing else but the acceleration is a little bit noticeablely better but because i have the 0.4mm washer on with the malossi variator the speed is restricted to 80km top but oh it flys to 80kms haha, my main goal is to get the scooter to powerwheelie off the start, is this possible with my stock crank and malossi 70cc sport kit or will i need something like a stage 6 racing mk2? my future plans for transmission is malossi gear up kit, stage 6 torque control clutch, stage 6 R/T clutch bell

20. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    You should be able to get it lifting on take off - but it requires a lot of clutch/variator/carburation fiddling - especially the richness screw. I confess I am no master at getting lift off like that - but it's easier with a kit like the 70 cc sport than it is with something like - say - the Metrakit pro race.
    As a matter of fact I am having a hard time with the MHR Team 2 at the moment - and my principal target is the secondary jet on the PWK Oko 28. I'm about to upjet to 44 (from 42) to see what that does. It's probably easer to arrange with a smaller Del Orto.