Aerox guide: replacing kickstarter

Discussion in 'Scooter Guides' started by HasSse666, Feb 18, 2013.

1. HasSse666

HasSse666 Member

[​IMG]
    Pic 01
    I'll transfer the kickstart to the new transmission cover

[​IMG]
    Pic 02
    First remove the "kick"
    The whole bolt must be loosened

[​IMG]
    Pic 03
    Remove the circlips
    from the kick shaft

[​IMG]
    Pic 04
    Press it all out with your palm

[​IMG]
    Pic 05
    There is a washer on the transmission cover

[​IMG]
    Pic 06
    And a bushing in the transmisson cover

[​IMG]
    Pic 07
    Rest of the gears and springs is under the cover

[​IMG]
    Pic 08
    Press the bushing into
    the transmissons cover

[​IMG]
    Pic 09
    Flip the transmisson cover
    Place the "hook" on the kick spring against the stop for the kick shaft
    (circled in red)

[​IMG]
    Pic 10
    Kick shaft into bushing

[​IMG]
    Pic 11
    Hook the spring on the kick shaft
    (circled in red)

[​IMG]
    Pic 12
    Press the spring and kick shaft with thumbs forward

[​IMG]
    Pic 13
    When you pass the "stop" press down

[​IMG]
    Pic 14
    Press the kick spring so that
    it ends up in the right place

[​IMG]
    Pic 15
    Take a pair of pliers and pull the "hook" on the kick spring in place
    (catch the hook on the pin in the engine block)

[​IMG]
    Pic 16
    Turn transmissons cover and pu on the large washer

[​IMG]
    Pic 17
    Put on circlips
    NOTE
    Important that the circlips ends up into the groove!

[​IMG]
    Pic 18
    Then put on the kick
    The tightening the bolt securely

[​IMG]
    Pic 19
    Flip the transmissons cover and push down kick

[​IMG]
    Pic 20
    Press in the kick pinion into the transmission cover

[​IMG]
    Pic 21
    Release the kick and all falls in order

Done

Tins81 and FiddyRox like this.
  2. Tins81

Tins81 Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox SP55
    It's a great tutorial :)
    What are your thoughts on the aftermarket cover? I'm tempted in buying one too but not sure about the quality and if the fake carbon will soon peel off...

3. HasSse666

HasSse666 Member

Well i think Polini and Malossi do great stuff.
    So i don´t think you find any better cover elswere?

And this one are balancing the axel with a bearing :)

4. Tins81

Tins81 Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox SP55
    Where did you purchase your case from? All I seem to find for sale are Str8 cases or cheap ones off eBay :-(

5. HasSse666

HasSse666 Member

6. Tins81

Tins81 Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox SP55
    I can't find anywhere in the UK that stocks or sells these Polini case :-( Anybody know of anywhere?
    image.jpg

7. turbovetto

turbovetto Well-Known Member

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Tins
    unless you need one because your engine is so powerful it's wrecking your transmission, I'd leave it alone. The only thing that makes this worth while is the rolling nut & bearing at the back. Otherwise it's a piece of shit. I should know - I own one. The stock item is much better.

8. Tins81

Tins81 Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox SP55
    I just liked the look of it and only wanted it to improve on the appearances of the standard cover. Unfortunately in just over 6 months the paint is starting to flake off my original casing and I wanted to replace before it looked tatty.
    Anybody recommend another quality made transmission cover?

9. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    I recommend you keep the one you've got, strip the paint off it with Nitromors, sand it with 260,300,400 wet,600wet and 1000wet, 2000wet grade then hit it with a cotton wheel & some belgom aluminium polish. Should take a wet weekend.
    Then you will have the trickest case in a 600 mile radius and it will have cost you a tenner and some elbow grease.
    http://auto.img.v4.skyrock.net/9986/24009986/pics/695809988_small.jpg
    Be careful. Once you've done one bit - you suddenly get the urge to do it all.......

10. Tins81

Tins81 Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox SP55
    That looks sweet. Is it hard work keeping it looking that good?

11. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Not once it's done. A wipe with turps after the rain - and thirty seconds with the polish & the wheel after winter.
    The tranny case is easy. So are forks. It's the wheels that are the killer.
    You can get all this stuff from the hardware store. If you want to really go fast, get two cotton wheels and some brown & blue 'rouge' polishing wax. Sand from 260 to 600 (all grades in order) and then use the brown rouge. Wash with turps, then use the blue rouge & the other cotton wheel. Don't mix wheels & different sticks of polish!
    Then wash again & use the belgom. Wear protective gear (mask over nose/mouth). Aluminium causes alzeimers, lowers your i.Q and makes your dick shrivel up & drop off (well - the first one anyway).
    Go to it !

12. Tins81

Tins81 Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox SP55
    Cheers. I'm just pricing everything up on eBay :-D Any recommendations where to buy all those grades of wet sand paper?

13. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    I get mine from the local auto store. One sheet of each should do it. Maybe get 2 of 260, 300 and 400. If you strip the thing with paint stripper and you find the surface is pretty good (no orange peel or deep scratches) you can probably skip the 260 and go straight in with the 300.
    When sanding, change direction avery so often - it's amazing how effective this is. Wash with turps between grades & polishes. Go for the cotton wheels that are fluffy at the edge - do not use sisal - it scratches.

14. Tins81

Tins81 Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox SP55
    Thanks for the advice. I'll be giving it a go within the next few weeks and put up pics to show :)
    When sanding with the different grades. What exactly am I looking for before I then use a different grade?

15. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Uniform finish. At the start this is a uniform dull scratching. As you progress - you'll get a uniform dull finish - and ultimately - a uniform shine - like chrome plating.
    It just takes a bit of perseverance. Diligence with the 300 & 400 pays off later -

16. Tins81

Tins81 Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox SP55

I like the look of this cover but what in your opinion makes it shite? Is it the bud quality or something else?? I've seen one now on eBay and tempted to buy it...

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/371017557809?nav=SEARCH

17. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    From the name and shame section. my entry.

Polini.
    They might make good Cylinders and Cranks (and at the price they should) -
    but steer clear of anything else.

Polini frontal induction ignition - installed by Yoda - a man who really knows what he's doing. Propper earthing, spacing of the rotor from the stator, etc etc. Went like a rocket for 7 months. Broke. No reason why. Stator showed signs of cracking. He showed me another one just like mine in his 'client's gear' box. Avoid.

Polini grear up kit. The cogs are slightly too big so it's really sticky. Takes ages to run it. Never had this before - and I have three engines with gear up kits...... Do yourself a favour - get Malossi, Top Perf or Stage 6.

Polini kick case with the bearing. I had such a hard time fitting this because the axle for the kick cog is the wrong size for the Yam cog. WTF ? Once I'd solved that - it was OK - until the kick axle itself started moving in the case and required a solution. This is because the alloy of the actual case is made from parmesan instead of aluminium.
    I keep it because it has the bearing for the transmission axle at the back. Otherwise I would have taken the bastard axe to it long ago.

The only product they make which is any good is the clutch. The one with the springs in compression (rather than the usual extension).

End of rant -

18. Tins81

Tins81 Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox SP55
    Cheers :-D Aftwr reading your comment I've decided to save myself £150 and just strip/polish the standard cover. Maybe this weekend I'll get on with it...

19. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    That's a bloody good idea!
    Arm yourself with patience and go through all the grades of paper one by one- especially up to 600. after that it gets easier and your dilligence will be rewarded.
    you will be so glad when it's done. And it will look the effing business.
    go to it and post some photos!

20. Tins81

Tins81 Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox SP55
    I'll remember to take some pics ;-)
    What's the best way to sand down? I've got all the grades of paper now. Do I just simply dip into water and sand in circular motion or up and down in lines??
    Thanks, I'm a comets novice at polishing metal so any advice would be appreciated :)