Aerox cooling system help please

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Iggy13, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Iggy13

Iggy13 Member

I have used the search but couldn't find anything that I haven't already tried.

I have a 2009 aerox, just rebuilt the engine - stage6 streetrace 70,yasuni z, 17.5mm carb, standard airbox.

the problem I have is its getting ridiculously hot way too quickly, I built the top end up with the thermostat in place but then thought it could be that faulty so I took it out but no difference.
    Have checked all the pipes and they are not blocked neither is the radiator, the pump is working fine, I've bled the system so no air is in it. Just can't think what else it could be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

2. astro77

astro77 Active Member

Normally running hot is an indication your running lean :)

3. Iggy13

Iggy13 Member

I've tried up jetting it and didn't really make a difference, I'm running a 90 main jet with standard air box and 17.5mm carb. Sound about right? (I realise all engines are different).
    Thanks for the reply

4. astro77

astro77 Active Member

How hots it getting, obviously its going to get abit hotter and get hot faster than a standard cylinder, but like you said ridiculously hot, hmmm strange one all I can say is just try bleeding the system again and check pipes etc

5. Iggy13

Iggy13 Member

Thanks for your help mate, it's getting hot within less than a mile. Then I pull over and it smells really strong of burning (you know that hot smell). I've bled the system loads of times so I'm pretty sure it's not that but I won't rule it out.

Any other ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

6. astro77

astro77 Active Member

Is the temperature light coming on, did you cover the piston etc with oil, could make a burning smell

7. Iggy13

Iggy13 Member

I don't think the light works, and I oiled the bore when I built it but it would have all been burnt by now.
    Thanks

8. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    did you bleed the head?

9. Iggy13

Iggy13 Member

Yep, just been out and tried upjetting from 90 to 94 main jet and bled the system again but still no different.

10. Iggy13

Iggy13 Member

Any other ideas?

11. Edgar

Edgar Active Member

get electric water pump :) or try another radiator there could be that white stuff in it if you used water instead of antifreeze before

12. Iggy13

Iggy13 Member

The radiator seems to be clear but who knows, bike was in a right state when I bought it. Don't really want to go down the electric waterpump route, most setups seem to work with the standard pump.

13. Speedfight-George

Speedfight-George Member

Rides:
    Peugeot Speedfight 2
    Sounds like you've not got enough air going in, try fitting a air filter and play about with the jetting a bit :)

14. Iggy13

Iggy13 Member

Tried with both open filter and air box but still no joy, and have been endlessly messing around with jetting.

15. Iggy13

Iggy13 Member

I'm running a 98 main jet and its still not running that rich so I'm thinking its got a slight air leak somewhere leaning out the mixture.

16. Speedfight-George

Speedfight-George Member

Rides:
    Peugeot Speedfight 2
    i dont have a clue then aha :')

17. A-LY

A-LY Active Member

your water pipes do go to the right part of the pump right?

my rox had this problem, turns out the pipes were on the opposite way round, so it was trying to pump water the wrong way round the system.

18. Iggy13

Iggy13 Member

Yes their all on correct, running out of ideas now!

19. A-LY

A-LY Active Member

is the warning light coming on or does it just smell funny?

20. Iggy13

Iggy13 Member

No it doesn't come on but I don't think it works, so if it did I'd imagine it would coz it does get really hot!