Advice on a geared bike and other advice needed

Discussion in 'Bike Chat' started by MaximusHeisenberg, Jun 5, 2015.

1. MaximusHeisenberg

MaximusHeisenberg Member

Bloody great, Overfilled a few not sure how best to drain it.

2. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Something similar to what you might find in a bottle of ear wax remover,maybe.

3. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Could also roll up some tissue into a pencil shape dip and toss.

The length of time you are charging the battery depends on how fast the charger is. If you are using a slow trickle type charger then its no surprise it isn't charged after a day. To know if the battery is fucked or not you need a multi meter to check the voltage of the battery.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  4. MaximusHeisenberg

MaximusHeisenberg Member

Turns out the bike has a battery in it that isn't even compatible, how about that then?

Bought one today, put it in, started straight away, there's a fork seal missing on the front but no biggy and the steering lock doesn't seem to work, can that be fixed?

The back brack is squeaky but it only had an MOT 2-3 weeks ago so shouldn't be an issue.

But yeah all today was about is stall, stall, stall, stall, lol I made 2 drivers wait through 2 sets of red lights lol.

It feels heavier than I expected, most people say it's a light bike and compared to my Honda Innova 125 that I had it feels much more powerful, I kept kicking it into neutral instead of 2nd quite a bit too.

5. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Better find a quiet spot and get a feel for that clutch. It doesn't help the more they beep when you are stalling it over and over already.

6. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    M/H,
    Found this to be a fairly good charger,just hook up and leave,it'll tell you when battery's ready.mk. 2015-06-11 19.03.20.jpg

7. MaximusHeisenberg

MaximusHeisenberg Member

Actually surprisingly no one beeped which was nice.

8. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    Take it to local tescos/asda car park at night and spend some time practising starting and stopping. Youll get the nack of it all. any pics of the bike?

9. MaximusHeisenberg

MaximusHeisenberg Member

10. altharic

altharic Member

Never worry about stalling even car drivers do it make them wait you have to start somewhere

scootzmadness likes this.
  11. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

nice pipe! :) like the others have said, just find a carpark, and practise your clutch, and also practice low speed riding, super uselful stuff lowspeed riding

12. MaximusHeisenberg

MaximusHeisenberg Member

This bike really hurts my back, neck and arms, it also seems heavy to me, much heavier than expected.

Also, I'm having major issues trying to ride it, I don't know why but I keep grabbing the clutch, brakes etc, I haven't even tried going over 30-40mph on it yet.

When downshifting I keep thinking do I need to brake or just let go of the throttle and shift down.

13. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

That's probably just your body adapting to a new position. When I rode my instructors Yamaha ybr I found my hand and thumb got really sore using the throttle for some reason and my back ache soon after, its just a slightly different riding position than you are used to give it time and see if it improves. To change gear you have to turn the throttle down not just let go with the clutch in then shift at least that's how I had to do it with the ybr.

14. MaximusHeisenberg

MaximusHeisenberg Member

It's the co-ordination i'm struggling with, having to control clutch, brakes, throttle etc, I'm used to just shifting with an automatic clutch. I know you can engine brake with the clutch but I don't know if it's always a good idea? I found it extremely jerky when downshifting, more so than my old innova.

Also if i'm in 3rd or 4th gear and I am suddenly coming to a stop can I pull in the clutch and hold it in and just kick straight down into 1st or neutral or not?

Am i right in saying after you downshift should you release the clutch slowly or quickly? I know upshifting you can let go quite quick but downshifting is always more awkward.

15. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Its why I dislike manual bikes, its like they were designed by someone with dyslexia.

16. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    What you located.?. - maybe some around that area could poke their heads in and run a few things past you.??.mk.

17. MaximusHeisenberg

MaximusHeisenberg Member

Am i right in saying you should go into 2nd gear at about 10mph? or should it be more like 15mph? I'm trying to figure out if I'd ever really need to use 6th? I haven't gone over 30mph-40mph so far and I was in about 4th.

18. MaximusHeisenberg

MaximusHeisenberg Member

I've seen some people say that you can downshift and upshift as much as you want whilst continously holding the clutch in, this isn't right is it?

19. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

you can, as if the clutch is held in, it has no say in what gear/ rpm yopu are at, think of the clutch as a kind of bypass type thing, if you are holding it in, you can kick all the way to 6th (in your case) and nothing will happen, stuff will only happen when you release the clutch (i actually found out on derbi sendas, you can pull off in 5th/6th....) there is no SET rule as to what gear and what speed, you can feel if its wrong, as you are either over revving it, or the bike sort of "chugs" along... (a nearly always have to high gear at too low speed and chug my way around town)
    hope that helps :)

20. MaximusHeisenberg

MaximusHeisenberg Member

Thanks. I was going 50mph at one point and I downshifted to 4th then released the clutch then went to 3rd pulled out the clutch, pulled in the clutch went to 2nd etc but it was so jerky and i locked the back wheel and skidded and nearly came off, I might have revved it way to high in the rpm's, don't wanna damage my engine or transmission or gearbox, I know honda engines are bullet proof but still don't wanna wreck it.