Advice needed on which sub500cc for commute and pillion

Discussion in 'Bike Chat' started by Buzz, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Hi, i'm hunting for a new bike to upsize my 125 cruiser. So many choices that im lost. I commute daily 10 miles each way, and like to lane split through congestion. I take my teenage son riding pillion and will take occasional 2hr motorway runs to visit family. I dont do high speed and Ride for comfort. I am hunting for a sub500cc bike to meet the above criteria, easy commute, occasional long motorway and pillion comfort. The reason for the sub 500cc is a mixture of lower insurance, higher mpg and mid power. I learnt on a yam 650cc and it was heavier and more powerful than i need. I am looking at all makes and styles but want to avoid leaning too far forward as it aches my wrists in slow traffic. The other guideline, £1500 budget. The ninja300 seems to meet all my needs except pillion comfort , bandits seem a sound choice but whats the forward rider position like? Any suggestions from experience welcome. What sub 500cc cruisers are worth considering? I would consider 600cc range if its an upright tourer posture. Tourers are my favourite style but i cant find a mid range engine for my budget.

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Now you're coming into the world of proper bikes. Welcome.
    600 Bandit's.........most have been ragged by young kids just passing their A2 license, but there are plenty of cheap spares available, and bling parts.
    CBR600...........my mate has one that is panniered up. You can leave the Honda boxes on all the time, and with the pillion backrest on the topbox it's fine for the pillion. Don't go for one that is all sporty painted up like a race bike, it'll probably have been ragged by a kid who thinks he's Rossi. Go for one that is more calmer looking, preferably with side boxes already fitted.
    XT660........the Tenere, a good all round bike, upright position, wheels easily changed for the spare set with the winter nobblies already fitted. Can also be easily panniered up using the square type Givi Trekker series (BMW GS/Triumph Tiger) panniers and topbox. But it can make the arse end a bit wide for commuting uses if you intend to leave the panniers on.
    Fazer 600.........another good upright position bike. Popular, reliable, plenty of spares available.

Just a few for you

3. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    are you going bike or scooter

4. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    scooter wise
    HONDA NSS300 forza is a very capable scoot and rides 2 up good. they've figured out all the problems now and theyre good sound scoots and one with 20k miles on the clock should be in your budget (they will do a lot more than that)

Suzuki burgman 400/650 - very good scoots that aren't too fast but can do everything you want and more. popular and lots of spares about.

bike wise -
    all the bike stevep suggested +

er500 - good doing 2 up, not TOO much power, parts everywhere. cheap to run and insure.

gs500 - same as above really.

5. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Im sticking with bikes, i was looking at the option of scooters but they dont float my boat. Ill list up your suggestions and visit my local bike store in Bordon to test a few of them out for fit. Thanks for the replies, its appreciated.

scootzmadness likes this.
  6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Have to disagree with the er500, I rode one and it killed my wrists. For someone 6' tall, its the wrong riding position.

7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

It might be worth looking at the v-strom and tdm's, I know they are bigger in cc than you're looking for, but a good riding position, good mpg, cheap insurance (for me at least) I can't comment on what yours would be. They are not overly powerful, but then any bike will only go as fast as you open the throttle. You will pay the same road tax as a 600 I think, so no saving there, but a great touring and commuting bikes.

8. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Thanks. I was looking at the vstrom as they do a 650 but the used market is a little over my budget. Ill check out the TDM. So many models out there, its crazy. I looked up your suggestion of a XT600. Seem great for one up. Any idea how comfortable the pillions are on this style bike. Two hour journey tops. Is there any point in considering a 250cc or will it feel gutless within the year? Ideal for short, daily commute but two hour motorway with pillion once a month? would a 250cc hold up for two hours at 70mph solid?

9. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    probably best to go and sit on one and see if he likes it though. Im 6ft7 and it was plenty comfortable for me. My shortarse ex was 5ft5 and she rode it comfortably too.

I would suggest a tiger 800 but that would be way out of your budget

10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I dont think I would want to do that on a 250, two up. As you say, great commuting and the odd sunday bladder, but nothing more.
    I would say try and stretch your budget a little for something more in the region of longevity rather than cost. After all, when you way up the cost of replacing something in a couple of years because it is knackered or you just don't like it anymore, it far outways the cost of buying something now that will last you for the next 8 or 10 years.
    For example, I have a zzr1100 that i just cannot ride anymore because of the damage to my arms and shoulders. But I've had that bike for 8 1/2 years now. It cost me £850 to buy, and about £1500 over it's time in servicing and repairs. But I have done things that it didn't really need.
    Because of the pain it now causes me I bought a TDM900. £1800 delivered.
    I cannot get on with it because it doesn't respond the way the zzr does. Basically the zzr's power spoiled me for anything else. But the TDM's a great bike. Comfortable, good fuel consumption, nice riding position, can throw it into corners like a scooter and it'll stick. And I'd happily go through Europe on it. But it's not the bike for me.
    I need the feel of the power and response of a bigger machine under me, so I bought the GTR1400 instead.
    Ok, it cost me £7000, but it's a bike I'll have for a good number of years yet. It does everything I want it to do, as did the ZZR.
    It's worth the extra cost for something that you'll want to ride day in day out in all weather, regardless.
    I know it's difficult to justify the cost of buying something new when you have something that does the job now, but you're not quite happy with it; that monkey's been riding my back for months, but trust me, it's worth it in the long run.

11. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Sound advice, it makes sense to be flexible on the budget rather than buy a bike that ends up needing more expense on constant repairs. Ill focus on 500cc unless a tourer or cruiser is found. They will be more forgiving with a larger torque and cc than street bikes i would imagine.

12. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    find the bike you like first then find one you can afford

13. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

what about a honda cbr 400? vfr 400? 400 is a good sized first bike with enough power to get out of trouble. your best bet is to test ride a few bikes and see what you like. what sort of style do you like best? cruiser? dual sport? sports?

14. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Cruisers and sports tourers are my favorite but i commute through busy traffic and they wont be as suitable for lane splitting or slow traffic, with me in the seat anyhow. Diversion 600 is tempting but the forward reach in slow traffic will be tiring. I commute more than long ride so a cbr500, er5 type bike is better. I take my lad up the motorway for two hour rides to see family so that requires some comfort for him. Thats the issue, one bike doesnt suit all. I need a nice 800 cruiser for weekends and a nippier bike for commuting, not financially viable. I need to satisfy both sides but im new to big bikes so mid range cc and lighter body, upright posture and comfy pillion. I think im coming round to the fact that i will need to stick to mainstream, cbf500, er5, divvy or hornet. Unless a nice cruiser catches my eye.

15. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

any of those will do really, and remember you can change seats and bars to make a bike more comfortable (or less in my case) my VF has been a trusty steed, rode 2 up with luggage to italy and back, used it for short trips and as a daily driver til i got my moped. hardly ever wash it. the newer VFRs are great bikes to ride (mines a first gen with a noisey top end)