Advice needed on Lambretta series 3

Discussion in 'Comments / Feedback / Suggestions' started by LBscooter, Jul 13, 2019.

1. LBscooter

LBscooter New Member

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase my first scooter. I want a challenging project and I’m a qualified engineer so I’m not afraid of a big project but I know very little about scooters to be honest. I have been looking at a series 3 Li 125, the bike is currently in pieces and I have plenty photos. I was just wondering if I could send one of you the photos to have a look over and give me your opinion of weather it’s a good investment or what other information or questions I should be asking the seller.

Thanks in advance!

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Hmmm, a '61 - '67 scooter I'm presuming.
    Did a '66 150 for my mate last year. That was also in bits, with bits missing as we discovered later in the rebuild.
    6 volt or 12 is the main question, some people do the conversion.
    All the rubber bits, trim pieces, all the engine parts including the stator and coil, pick-up etc,
    Is the loom complete and not broken......
    Really, the list is endless. However, parts are fairly easy to source still, so no major drama's.
    It should have the Dellorto Si carb on it, gaskets can be had from NRP carbs still.
    If the price is right, I'd get stuck in.

3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I would love a lambretta.
    They fetch crazy money over here in Norway.

4. LBscooter

LBscooter New Member

thanks very much, I appreciate the advice. The seller has included a good amount of new spares including wire loom, think it's still 6v but I’m open to doing the conversion. All body panels are there and looks to only be surface rust, same with frame. I’ve checked the frame number and all checks out. It’s a 1963 built. Engine has been rebuilt but missing carb. Sure I’ll find a couple pieces missing but from what I can see with my limited knowledge most of it is there. Priced at 1600 including the new spares. Think I’ll take your advice and get stuck in

5. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I'd be very carefull, having worked on Lambretta's, you need to start with a complete machine, as said some parts are easy to get others impossible. DON'T throw anything away, find your local scooter club and ask them for advice and help sourcing parts !

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

BeedSpeed and SIP scooters are a good source for spares

7. LBscooter

LBscooter New Member

Thanks, I’ll be sure to check them out