Advice HONDA X8R-S

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by Mako, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Mako

Mako New Member

need advice from anyone who know's how to de-restrict a honda x8r-s
    before i go and buy these parts would you say this quote below is the correct way to go about doing it ???
    im a motor mechanic 15 years but never worked on peds before lol , but id say it wouldnt be that hard to pick up . i would be doing this job myself so what im asking is , do i need any special tools to remove the variator ect

could you confirm this is the right parts
    varitator http://scooter-center.com/catalog/produ ... cts_id=382
    cdi tuned box https://www.pmtuning.co.uk/Merchant2/me ... =11-PMDR58

thanks in advance.

2. alex8r

alex8r New Member

Yeh mate, you've got the right idea. I have a Honda X8R, and it looks like you have done your research, there should be a spacer/washer in the variator and take that out and then buy the polini variator. It may also be recommended to buy an oversized belt aswell as a front pulley, (both found on PM tuning) because they (to a certain extent) restrict it aswell.

If there is a cone in the exhaust, then I would recomend removing that aswell.

3. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    whoever wrote that derestriction guide bum's off pm and is a lire.. the satock cdi can be derestricted and i offer this for a tenner plus postage. as for it only adding 5mph, im guessing the guy who wrote that is just plain full of shit as it makes one hell of a diff with the 7500 limiter removed. transmission needs resetting roller wise. id say derestrict the cdi and change the variator an mabey change the pipe. will be seing healthy speed increase. not sure how well the stock pipe works on these tbh

4. Mako

Mako New Member

any mechanic ive asked has said cutting the wire wont to the job CORRECT the cdi needs to be changed.

this is what the problem is , everyone seems to have different ideas to go about de-restricting these bikes.

il wait for a few more replys before i go ahead a buy the parts
    ??

5. Sw1fT

Sw1fT Active Member

Rides:
    200SX S13
    mate, minor is one of the best and most experienced scooter tuners in the country, dont just take what he says with a pinch of salt, listen and learn

6. Mako

Mako New Member

im listening to minor im just POSTING what ive been told by experience'd mechanics , thats why i started the thread to get advice.

7. Mako

Mako New Member

were is the 7500 limiter on the bike ?
    il take your advice and do what you have said,
    also if i dont reset the transmission rollers will i be wasteing my time doing all this?
    or is the transmission another way of upping the speed?

8. m1ck_t

m1ck_t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    alot of shit
    transmition has to be done for it to run properly after de-restriction,ie bogging and all that

and the rev limiter is the restricted cdi unit

9. alex8r

alex8r New Member

10. baz172

baz172 Member

when i de rezzed my cdi i bought a uprated vari and oversized front pulley otherwise i think youll only get about 45? cant remember that was with a 'sports' exhaust though

11. baz172

baz172 Member

12. Saint Jonny

Saint Jonny New Member

i'd remove the 7500 rpm rev limiter then fit a sports pipe that's suited for your stock bike unless you plan on getting a 70 kit. Reason being is they give more power at higher rpm's (circa 9000 rpm for a Leovinci TT) and whether you're doing 20 or 40mph, your scooter should be revving at the same speeds. Once this is done then play with your transmission ;)

Also are them cheap rev derestricters much cop a mate had one fitted to his scooter and my dad reckoned it flew :confused:arc:

13. Mako

Mako New Member

thanks for all the posts fellas , il post here and let use know how i get on , cheers again!!

14. Purplepill

Purplepill Member

I sent my X8R CDI away to have the wire cut, £17, and i noticed a big difference.
    I then bought a PM tuning adjustable CDI and it made no difference at all, waste of 80 quid i think it cost.

15. shane leaver

shane leaver New Member

can anone advise how to remove the 7500 cdi restriction

16. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Not sure if @MiNoR cOnFuSiOn still does these buddy ,

when he pops on he will get a notify to this post and will nodoubt give you a yes or no answer , you may have to send it to him for derestiction ( aka the cdi )