a1 test without the courses?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Leeder, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Leeder

Leeder Member

hi

has anyone done their a1 test without going through a riding school, without the added course charges? i see you can book a test direct from gov.uk. but i was wondering if many people who have had a cbt for 2 years, has gone straight for the test and weather they have passed without the added instruction. is it mandatory or just experience?

money being the issue more than anything at the moment

thanks

2. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    I know of people that have done it and it is doable, aslong as you are actually a safe and competent rider. It may pay to just go out for one "assessment" ride with a reputable instructor and ask them where you could brush up on your riding.

Anybody can ride to test standard really, I could get a monkey to do it. Dont skimp just to get things quicker, sometimes its worth the wait ;)

There is no mandatory, In theory anybody could go and get their CBT done, next day do mod1 and then mod2 straight after. Its just safer to get some instruction.

3. Leeder

Leeder Member

thankyou for the clarification, thats cleared things up for me. also did i understand right, that once you have your a2, it automatically upgrades after 2years to allow for bigger bikes?

thanks

4. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    No it doesnt. You have to retake the test to get the entitlement for larger bikes.

5. Leeder

Leeder Member

ah ok, thanks.

i read this from the auto-trader site and it confused me.

I just want to ride a small motorbike what do I need to do?

You will need to take an A2 test on a motorcycle of 125cc. (After doing CBT and getting a Theory test pass). On successfully passing your Module 1 & 2 tests you will be able to ride a machine no larger than 33bhp. Your licence will automatically upgrade to allow you to ride a bike in excess of 33bhp after a 2 year period - but of course you can stay riding a smaller bike if you choose to do so. If you do not think you will ever want to ride anything larger than a 125cc machine then you can take an A1 Light Motorcycle test. All the processes are the same but on passing you will only be able to ride a machine no larger than 125cc and this will not upgrade after 2 years.

thanks for your help

6. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    Wrong Wrong Wrong.

A1 = No motorcycle over 125cc, its fairly pointless because it would be a little silly to ride with a pillion on a 125cc (doable but silly) and its just stupid taking a 125cc on motorway. If you go and do your test on a 125cc this is the licence you will recieve, if you want to ride bigger you must take a bigger bike.

A2 = You are aloud to ride any motorcycle upto 47bhp (what Im currently on) Test must be taken on a machine of atleast 395cc with atleast 20kw of power to get this category of licence.

A = Full Unrestricted Motorcycle Licence. Test has to be taken on a motorcycle with more than 47bhp.

So if you do your A1 you can only ride upto 125cc, this is the one doable on your own but you wont be able to ride anything bigger. To do the other two, you need to go to a instructor. Dont assume that because you know how to ride a 125cc you know how to ride anything bigger, trust me its HUGELY different.

Dont trust sites like auto trader etc when it comes to the laws, they know absolutely f*ck all. For all of the correct information always head to the official goverment site, the link for all the rules here - https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-pract...motorcycles-used-in-the-practical-riding-test

But if you do A1 or A2 it doesnt automatically go to full A licence after two years, if you want to ride more than what the category you have the licence for allows you MUST retake Mod1 and Mod2 on a bike suitable for that category of licence (enough power and CC)

7. Leeder

Leeder Member

thanks for your input and taking the time to explain. thats why i thought id ask for advice from someone whos done it. ill proberly go for a course and do my a2 training and test in due course. the a1 would help to get rid of my l plates and not keep having to re do my cbt every 2 years, but for the time being i guess ill stay as i am till money allows.

cheers

heres the link to the page i was reading if you want some entertainment

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes/motorbike-learning/age-21-plus/motorcycle-faqs