A1 licence

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Ellismit101, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Ellismit101

Ellismit101 New Member

Hi does anyone know how much A1 licence roughley cost and and what you have to do for it

2. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Between £5/£600 for a 4 day course using your own machine. To be honest it's not worth taking as the A licence doesn't cost much more.
    The main problem if going for direct access, even if you only want to ride a small scooter, is that most schools don't keep large automatics so you have to take the test on a large geared bike to ride a smaller bike or scooter.
    The automatic/geared rule still applies but there are a few automatic motorcycles now.
    To get the A1 you'll need to do the theory and then take a test as normal.
    You'll still be limited to a 125 with no L plates and you can carry a passenger. You can also use a motorway.
    You don't have to take a course but it's advised.
    Ask your local training schools.

3. Kriskeogh

Kriskeogh Member

This confuses me so much

Say I want my next bike to be a 300CC scooter what tests do I take and do I use my own bike whilst learning?

4. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Possibly an A2 test on a machine over 395cc and a max of 47 bhp.
    You can use a 125 on the A1 but an A2 requires the above.
    You will need to pass the theory test and then take both driving test modules.
    These can be taken at different times the mod 1 being the off road cones etc. The mod 2 is the actual on road test.
    They can both be taken on the same day if you wish.
    As I said before the main problem for those only wishing to use an automatic scooter is that the schools don't usually have any as they assume that most riders want tp progress to an unrestricted licence so that usually means a large geared bike and once the test is passed you can ride anything you like of any size.
    I would suggest if you are thinking about getting a larger bike/scooter you ask some local schools if they cater for scooters.
    I believe some do it's finding them lol

5. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

6. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

What age are you?