A way to replace ignition cylinder only

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by craig c, Aug 5, 2019.

1. craig c

craig c New Member

Hi,

For my other scooter the steering lock doesn't work, the key just won't turn to the lock icon as the "rod" thats meant to come out and go in to the handlebars is rusted and broken.

Now I've found a replacement ignition lock but what I'm hoping to do is use my existing keys with this new lock. Is it simple to remove the cylinder from the new lock and replace it with my old one?

This way I can have a brand new ignition lock with working steering lock but still use my original keys.

Any guides on how to do this would be appreciated.

2. craig c

craig c New Member

This is the lock in question:
    [​IMG]

3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Not entirely sure with that particular barrel.
    Some have the last tumbler pop up and it locks it in place so it cannot be removed, other you can get to.
    probably easier in the long run to buy the lock set.
    What bike is it?

4. craig c

craig c New Member

Its a SYM Jet 4.

I'm just so paranoid and don't really trust locks you can buy everywhere, I feel like maybe some gang in China has made all the locks with the same keys and someone would walk over to my scooter one day with a master key and just ride off on it lol

I was just hoping I could fix/replace the bar lock and still use my original key that came with the scoot. I could try take my existing lock apart and try de-rust the locking bar some how but worry I'd break the whole thing if I try take it apart. I had a look at my existing lock but can't see a way to get to the locking bar inside it. Guess I'll just have to live without it for now.

5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah that's paranoia for sure
    If someone is going to steal your scoot they will smash the fairings and hot wire it....