A ton of questions from a total n00b

Discussion in 'Scooter Guides' started by madmags, Jan 19, 2017.

1. madmags

madmags Member

£20 sounds super cheap for a GPS, I'll look into it! My phone is not the greatest thing on earth, but I can't really afford to replace it right now, so there.
    Oh, and I went through the Blackwall Tunnel on my way back home last night and it wasn't as terrifying as I thought it would be :D

Stevep likes this.
  2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

It's not £20 for a GPS.:p
    It's about £20 for the waterproof case and mount

Ref: Trousers
    Thermal leggings, jeans, waterproof over trousers will probably do until you decide on a good pair of bike trousers.
    Still be colder than with proper trousers but better than just jeans.

3. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    theres a couple ways :

you can mount the phone in a waterproof case and have it mounted to the scooter for your satnav app to run.

or you can do what i did, i downloaded Waze satnav app for my phone. i stick my phone to bluetooth mode and paired it to a very cheap helmet intercom. i slip my phone into my pocket with satnav running and get comentery via the helmet speakers fitted to tell me what roads to take and when. another good thing is if the phone rings the satnav goes quiet and the intercoms answers the phone for me, a quick single tap on the headset ( mounted to the outside of helmet ) allows me to cancel incoming calls or hang up a call to.

its not bad but you get used to sheila ( yeah i names my satnav voice to lol ) nattering away in your lug holes lol and your eyes are always on the road never looking down at a tiny screen . theres also safety aspect, no phone in the holder means no chance of having it stolen by thiefing gits :)

Grats on Pat and your first rides out Madmags and i did lol at the cold legs part ....... done the same on my cbt was not comfy and my kneecaps were like icicles

BunnyMum likes this.
  4. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332100521006
    You were saying?
    I bought mine for about £8 and the water proof case mount was about a tenner.

5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

6. madmags

madmags Member

Today, I wore thermal leggings under my jeans and they did make a difference! My gloves, however, don't seem to do the trick: they're fine when I start riding, but after 20-30 minutes, my hands get super cold. Do glove inners make a difference, or should I just return the ones I bought and look for an alternative?

Tamiyacowboy, I didn't even think about an intercom, but it sounds like the perfect solution! Also, no distraction from a screen and no need to take my eyes off the road. I'll give it a think :)

In other news, I didn't get lost today! Oh, OK, I got a bit confused in the morning and ended up taking the scenic route ;) But my ride home was pleasantly uneventful and I'm really proud of myself. Also, riding down Tower Bridge and seeing the beauty of London around me made me grin like a lunatic. And filtering is fun and surprisingly easy.

BunnyMum likes this.
  7. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Have you cut your commuting time?
    Possibly buy winter gloves and keep your existing ones for when it gets a bit warmer.
    Most people have at least 2 pairs.

8. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Take them back and change them if you can.
    Cold hands are no joke on a bike.
    I know they are expensive but................Richa Sub Zero or Richa Arctic are very good gloves.
    They are between £60 and £90, but as winter gloves you'd be hard to find better.
    And they'll last a good few years.
    Yes they are heavily padded, some people say they cant feel the controls properly, but it's like most things new, you get used to them.
    Or you could try a pair of woolly gloves underneath.

9. madmags

madmags Member

Yeah, I might keep my current ones for when it's warmer, and get something a bit more winter-friendly for now.
    And yes, I've cut down my commute time - not significantly, compared to the Tube, mind you (it took me around 50 minutes to get home), but it's far more enjoyable than being squashed in between people on a packed train, so I really don't mind. And I guess as I gain confidence on the road, I'll cut the time even more, so there.

10. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

At least you have found freedom.

BunnyMum likes this.
  11. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Definitely return them and get a thick wind and water proof winter pair or you'll end up with chilblains or frostbite, consider getting some heated grips as well they make a hell of a difference for long cold journeys. I have two pairs a thin beathable summer pair and a thick wind and water proof winter pair, but even they can get cold sometimes.

12. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Love em or loath them but I swear by handmuffs. Thin inner thermal gloves, normal leather outer gloves and cosy bar muffs. Way cheaper than new winters. Bought some heated gloves this year, wire is a pain but so warm they beat heated grips hands down.

13. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper

i got mine from amazon cost me £35 called a bolov BT intercom . its got two mini speakers that sit inside your helmet where your ears are. and a little boom mic . you bind the device with your phone ( turn on the bt intercom , turn on bluetooth on phone and search bluetooth devices, then its a case of just connecting to the intercom when it comes up on screen as a bt device)

theres two versions a simple version, thats the bluetooth intercom with a fm radio built in, the other is the same device but with an lcd display . a tactile flush on /off switch, press and hold the device switched on , a double tap of the large jog wheel the fm radio comes on, a fick flick of the jog wheel changes stations a long flick and hold adjusts volume up and down. answer a call the bt device will auto answer a call after it rings so many times or the rider can tap the center button on jog wheel to allow call or press and hold to cut call off . you can even operate your mp3 palyer on phone via the bt com set to so your fave music or the raido is always at hand.

if you have a friend with same device you can also chat to them, hold the jog wheel button to enable coms chat, say your thing then press again to cut coms to second rider :)

you can see the device mounted to the side of my caberg stunt helmet in attachment ( right side lower chin bar )

Attached Files:

BunnyMum likes this.
  14. BunnyMum

BunnyMum BunnyMum (aka Northcust)

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    That's very cool, deffo gonna have to get one of those!

15. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

I bought the same set with fm radio, no complaints at all. Buy a multi set rather than single comm' for times you may take a pillion or just need a spare because you forget to charge it. Saves a little money.

BunnyMum likes this.
  16. madmags

madmags Member

£35 is not too much - I think I might invest on one of those!
    Also, I'm curious what you all think about listening to music while riding. Yay or nay? I kinda miss music on my commute, but I'm worried it'll distract me and make me less alert to traffic noises.

17. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

It can be distracting and everyone is different. If you are good with mirror discipline and regular shoulder checks then you should be aware of where all other traffic is at all times. You shouldnt need to hear other vehicles if you can see them and are aware of them. I find i relax more when i listen to music, i dont stress in traffic when i cant filter, i tend to ride gentler and safer because my mind is relaxed. As a biker you must remain hyper vigilant of all traffic at all times using sight more than sound.
    But everyone will have a different view. I listen to music and radio on my bike but i wont connect my phone to my headset as i find it distracting!
    If i walk anywhere i hate listening to music because i dont know whats going on around me, maybe i should walk with mirrors?

18. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

I wouldn't no, some people can.
    It can distract you alot from what's going on around you and in London that's not good since everyone drives like a ****.
    If you can manage it while still paying full attention to what's going on around you then go for it.

19. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Music after youve been riding a year or so, but nit now.
    About gloves, try the free ones from the petrol pumps. Its free and works well....

20. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I find the radio is better in the helmet than just music from your phone or media player.
    Especially on the longer journeys.
    But when i come into the towns again i normally either turn it down or turn it off completely.
    As already said, everyone is different