A ton of questions from a total n00b

Discussion in 'Scooter Guides' started by madmags, Jan 19, 2017.

1. madmags

madmags Member

Ladies and gents, meet Patricia*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B30l0bQ42DciOU1GOG9RUUU1MkU/view?usp=sharing

I took her for a little test ride around the courtyard and at first I thought I'd already forgotten how to ride, but it all came back to me quickly :D I was hoping to ride off on it, but when inspecting the bike, I noticed some rust on the mirror fitting and a little dent on the bar end, so I asked the shop to replace those and they agreed, so I'm picking her up on Wednesday. Went to J&S, too, and I got myself a helmet (I tried on about 20 and this one was the best fit) and some gloves, as well as a chain, so my starter gear is pretty much complete. I'll get a jacket soon, but just can't afford to do it all in one go, so it'll have to wait until next month.

Sorted out my insurance, too - went for fully comp with Lexham, which wasn't the cheapest quote, but the cheapest one was from a company that had really crap reviews. Just reading through the bike's user manual and there's so much I need to learn!

*Honda Vision -> Vision Thing -> The Sisters of Mercy -> Patricia Morrison :D

Tamiyacowboy, torpedo01 and BunnyMum like this.
  2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Good choices:D
    I also have the IS-Max for my daily uses, decent helmets and a chin guard which helps keep the wind off your neck.
    Have you got a neck tube of some description, makes it more comfortable around the neck.
    Fully comp is a good choice, no matter what happens, in the event (hopefully not), you'll get paid out.
    Liking the link ref Patricia Morrison;)

3. madmags

madmags Member

Yup, I have a fleece neck tube I've been using when cycling in cold weather, so it'll come in handy.
    I tried on a really nice Hein Gericke jacket, but it was £150, which was more than I was hoping to spend. It's about 75 Euro on the manufacturer's website, but they have none left in my size ;( But now at least I know what fits me, so I'll be keeping my eye out on eBay.

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Good enough jackets, but you want to find out how they perform in the wet.
    Dig around for some reviews on that particular one.
    What you don't want is the wet coming through the arms, zips, stitching etc. Very uncomfortable and takes yonks to dry out.
    I had a pair of their supposed water proof winter gloves, total crap.
    I will re-iterate what has already been said.
    Buy what you can comfortably afford now, if not least for the protection it will afford; you can, and probably will, upgrade in the future.
    Especially if you decide to go the full license route and hop on a BIG BIKE;)
    Have you got trousers?

5. madmags

madmags Member

Not yet, but I'm working on it :) I have my bicycle waterproofs for now, but I know I'm going to need something a bit more sturdy.

6. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Well done hopefully you can now see the wisdom of trying clothing on.
    Keep an eye out on local ads etc as you may find clothing for sale but even a cheap jacket will do as long as it has built in armour.
    It's a longevity thing as the cheaper jackets will only last a few years whearas quality stuff will go on much longer.
    You won't be going at any great speeds so rain and wind being forced in to you won't be such an issue compared to longer distance commuters who travel on motorways/fast main roads.
    Keeping warm for another couple of months until Spring will be more of an issue lol

Did you buy a pink helmet? :D

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  7. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

http://www.ghostbikes.com/51033-agrius-gemini-motorcycle-jacket.html

Have a look on here I got my gloves and helmet here and both are pretty good. They also sell via eBay.
    The jacket above looks similer to the one I have now branded gearx and its lasted over two years and I feel pretty safe and comfortable in it.
    I don't feel its necessary to spend out of your nose for the best gear on a scooter, you aren't going fast enough to warrant such expense.

This is the jacket I use.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...6245396&sr=1-10&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65

8. madmags

madmags Member

Pink? *gasps*
    Not my thing, so I went for matte black. I wanted hi-viz green, but couldn't find one that would fit me. I'm thinking of decorating my helmet with some hi-viz strips or some kind of decal for added visibility.

9. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

He He , I can see you on a big Harley custom in a few years but still having a scooter for commuting.

10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

For the record i went over at walking pace and managed to get my vertibralis artery to collapse (well dissection, but yeah)..
    Good gear will save your life one day

11. madmags

madmags Member

That, or a nifty retro cafe racer. Always wanted one of those!

Whoa! That does sound pretty dangerous. And yeah, I agree: you don't have to ride fast to get injured. I ended up on some bloke's hood a few years ago while cycling (at a moderate pace) home from work (he was exiting a side road leading to a car park, but failed to notice it was a one-way and he shouldn't even have been there) and, even though I got away with just a few bruises and scratches, it was a scary experience.

12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah, ive had a lot of close calls on mopeds, there was one where i had both wheels sliding and i stopped half an inch from the cars rear door, an inexperienced rider would have hit the car.
    People just dont see mopeds, or dont care, but i choose do give them the benefit of the doubt and stick with the former...
    An air horn is a bloody good investment...

13. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Had a young'ish drive head right at me this week , took up the whole of the road even with me having right of way. poor driver got the wrath of my foul language lol, but the four young lads standing beside a mates car though i was hollering at them lol . quick point at the driver and a wiggle of the finger they understood.

its why i cam'd up atleats if something happens and it aint my fault the footage shows and can be used to prosecute if need be.

scubabiker likes this.
  14. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Trouble is even assuming they have seen you they think because it is small and presumably slow they still come out thinking they have plenty of time. I had a couple of close calls on my malossi 172 runner lol
    Another problem, of course, is that the majority of car drivers have never graduated from a push bike to a moped and larger bikes so they have absolutely got no idea that you can't just brake or swerve out of the way.
    Years ago people had no money so came through various forms of transport and understood riding on 2 wheels.
    I don't know if it's any better on the continent but their laws make it much easier for youngsters to get low powered mopeds so the culture is there.
    Apart from better weather of course ;)

scubabiker likes this.
  15. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

The problem here in norway is the right rule, you let traffic ONTO the road if its that kind of road, but not all roads are like it and people just assume they can just pull out....

16. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Ah is that like the French yellow diamond type route. Nearly got killed a few years ago on my Moto Guzzi outfit touring France.
    It was my fault just bowling along on an urban road assuming I had right of way like you do here and a bin lorry just pulled out in front of me.
    I thought they were phasing that rule out?

17. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Exactly that. Its bloody dumb, its on some 70kmh roads... Its not so many roads round here, but thats what confuses people.... And there can still be giveway triangles on the sideroads..

18. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Tell me, how would a more expensive jacket and trousers have stopped you from receiving that injury.
    There are some injury's you just can't be protected from, if its going to happen it will happen that's the risk we take.

19. madmags

madmags Member

So, I picked Patricia up from the bike shop last night and managed to get home in one piece :D
    Today was my first day of commuting on a scooter and I managed to get lost not once, but twice. It would have been fun if the weather wasn't as dreadful. Still, I must say I enjoy riding more than I ever thought I would! Once I become familiar with the route, I'll be fine.
    (Although I'm thinking of getting one of those mount thingies for my phone, so I can use maps when riding, you know, just in case ;) )
    My Spada jacket arrived last night and I tested it today. It doesn't look it, but it's really warm and great for protecting from the rain. I do know now that I need to invest in a proper pair of trousers, though - my jeans were not nearly enough to keep me warm.
    All in all, I think Patricia was a great investment and I hope we'll have a few happy years together!

Tamiyacowboy, scubabiker and Stevep like this.
  20. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Glad to hear you're enjoying it, rather than a phone mount I'd suggest a cheap GPS device with a mount similar to what I have also has a water proof case mount. Total cost was about £20 off eBay, the reason being I wouldn't be happy if my phone got smashed because of something I did or even if it was someone elses fault as I don't think the insurance will cover your damaged or broken phone and even if they do its a long and hard enough process just getting them to agree what to pay for the bike damages so if you can't afford to replace your phone or are attached to the one you have you might want to consider that too.