A set up that works shared

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by Northernerbill, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Northernerbill

Northernerbill Member

I thought I'd share the current tuned set up on my Vespa LX50. Its now as good as I want it to be, launch, acceleration, top speed, up hills it just works.

Carb is stock Delortto.
    71 main jet, needle on lowest (leanest) setting. Brass baffle inlet plate removed, Stage6 2 stage filter in stock filter box. Mixture screw 2 turns out from bottom.

Engine.
    Motoforce 70cc cylinder and head. Malossi Flip exhaust. New spark plug.

Transmission.
    Polini High Speed Variator and contra spring (kit). Malossi 4.7g rollers. Jassil clutch springs (middle trio from set).

I didn't arrive at this set up easily, or without help......but the more info I got the more it all sunk in slowly. I did most of that tuning whilst still at 50cc, then once I went to 70cc, it was up-jet by 3 sizes, the stage6 filter and 5g down to 4.7g rollers.

It now could wheely at launch and pulls really strongly even on my local steep hills. My goal at the start was 40mph up one the said long steep hills, it now cruises up at 40mph with plenty in the bag. I'm not a boy racer, or after racing people off the lights, just wanted a slightly stronger scooter. I've had 50+mph out of it but not interested in what its actual top speed as it scares me too much lol.

Anyway hope this is of help to somebody

Attached Files:

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Satisfying innit..................:cool:, knowing you've got it just the way you want it.

Northernerbill likes this.
  3. Northernerbill

Northernerbill Member

It sure is!

It’ll be similar to what a lot of people are trying to do or have done so hopefully is a bit of a shortcut for some.

It’s 04:50 in the morning now and I’ve got to start it up and ride to work without waking the neighbours up lol, might be a fast set up but it’s not a quiet one

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  4. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    very nice looking scooter, glad to see you have it how you want it.

5. ET2SLOW

ET2SLOW New Member

Hi, thank you for sharing your set up - I’m well on my way to replicating it.

I noticed it’s 2018 when you posted this, is the scooter still running well?

Santa brought me a Malossi Flip, 17.5mm Dellorto, Stage 6 reed valve with oversize manifold and some rollers. Come payday I’ll be tracking down a DR EVO 70 kit.

it’s all going on my ET2, I managed to bag a mint one with under 2k miles and spotless non rusty floorpan.

just out of interest did your Flip come restricted? Mine looks open, there is no cone or obvious restriction. Maybe Ped Parts derestricted it even if my girlfriend (I mean Santa) forgot to ask and pay for their derestriction service...

oh and I’m s50ing mine - I’ve got a new old stock seat ready to go on, I’m trying to track down the light/dash off a breaker. It seems every s50 I see being broken are missing the dash/light and seat. Great minds.

6. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    Hey mate did you ever run the carb on the 50 barrel?

7. The Messenger

The Messenger Active Member

wouldnt it be good if people used this thread to post up as much as they can about their set ups, which are known to work.

This could be a big help to others in knowing what to buy, and getting it to run properly.

This was the set up for my going to work scoot, always started and got me to work come rain or shine, pretty nippy bike more than capable of staying ahead of rush hour traffic.

Gilera Runner 70cc, piaggio liquid cooled motor.

polini sport 70cc cast iron cylinder
    running pre mix
    motoforce full circle crank and SKF C4 main bearings
    Leo vinci zx exhaust
    Dellorto 21mm phbg black edition carb with triangle air box
    stage 6 adjustable clutch
    std variator with 5.25g rollers
    main jet: 80
    pilot jet 50 (mixture screw 1.5 turns out)
    needle 1 clip down from the top

8. ET2SLOW

ET2SLOW New Member

Great idea! Obvs every bike is different but it will put anyone unsure on the right path.

9. Northernerbill

Northernerbill Member

Really pleased if this actually helped someone get there without all the head scratching.

the scooter is long gone now, but know it’s been sold twice and it’s still going strong with its current owner.